Join now - be part of our community!

Need a new MBR

Meldur
Visitor

Need a new MBR

Hi! I've installed Suse10.1 to my Vaio VGN-FE28H. My Windows is still on. Now I have to set my Windows back using the recovery-partition. The problem is, that the linux grub-loader has deleted the mbr and because I've done thes linux-installation more than one time, I can't restore the mbr via Yast!.
So please can anybody tell me, how I can get a copy of the original mbr?

Thanks a lot!!!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

In dos type in

fdisk /mbr

Meldur
Visitor

I've done this yesterday - my mbr war toasted and I lost all my data (including the recovery-partition). sorry but this hint is not so good for distributing.

kee-lo_

Sorry about that - maybe this Microsoft case will help you out.

Meldur
Visitor

thanks, but you even know, that sony doesn't handle there vaios out with a copy of the os-disk - so even if my system was not killed, I've could not activate the recovery console. I hate this kind of "no-disk-support" - other providers have no problems by adding such a backup...

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

James Mold recently posted a link to download a bootable Recovery Console.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Sorry my mind has been quite occupied lately, but I did remember James posting that article

vincefer
Visitor

If you're still able to boot linux. You'll be able to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst uncomment the example lines for windows and ajust to your settings. Probable the default are ok. Then reinstall grub on you mbr. Probably with "grub-install hd0". On next boot you'll see windows on the boot menu.

Whenever you didn't change the windows partition this procedure should work.

regards