Join now - be part of our community!

need help with my VGN-A397xp and what i got

RyanNicon
Visitor

need help with my VGN-A397xp and what i got

hi people i got my VGN-A393xp which is soooo nice

but i did't get any CDs with it should there be CDs with it? and if so how should i go about getting them?

the next prob i have is i can't Register it on the e-Support web site could any one help me with that

thanks guy i'm a bit lost at the mo

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Ryan

Go into the start menu and look for something called VAIO Recovery Wizard

RyanNicon
Visitor

right ok i have Register it i was using fire fox and it does't work in fire fox

but the thing is should i have been given CDs with this laptop?

i want to dual boot windows xp and linux and if it goes wrong i want to put it back on xp

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

i want to dual boot windows xp and linux and if it goes wrong i want to put it back on xp

If we talk about Suse Linux, then I see there no problem.
If you install Suse Linux then you can configure where you want install (you can the configure partitions, You doesn't need to delete the HDD before). And you would install a Boot loader. (like GRUB)

HITS-UK
Visitor

OK the 'official' line first. Sony only supports the OS that was shipped with the PC.

Your recovery CDs/DVDs are created from the START menu as told by KL earlier in this thread. Please do this as quickly as possible and make AT LEAST two copies for safety.

Dual booting with Sony PCs is not as simple as we have been led to believe. We have used Partition Magic successfully, but beware of doing this before you have checked for any BIOS updates that might be needed. Sony hides some of the BIOS functionality and you may need a tool to get around this. Linux can be used successfully, but the newer the Sony, the harder it gets!

Your move, but be careful!

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

That's true. After a installation of Suse Linux9.1. I was unable to deinstall the GRUB loader.

You could lose data if you change the size of a HDD also. It isn't without any risk. And would need a lot time to configure the system. Because a VAIO isn't the best choice for a OS like Linux.

RyanNicon
Visitor

OK the 'official' line first. Sony only supports the OS that was shipped with the PC.

Your recovery CDs/DVDs are created from the START menu as told by KL earlier in this thread. Please do this as quickly as possible and make AT LEAST two copies for safety.

Dual booting with Sony PCs is not as simple as we have been led to believe. We have used Partition Magic successfully, but beware of doing this before you have checked for any BIOS updates that might be needed. Sony hides some of the BIOS functionality and you may need a tool to get around this. Linux can be used successfully, but the newer the Sony, the harder it gets!

Your move, but be careful!

OMG your joking right you mean sony don't give cds out with there software and the OS

it will take up 9CD :cry:

kee-lo_

OMG your joking right you mean sony don't give cds out with there software and the OS

No joke I'm afraid, you can do it on 2 DVDs

RyanNicon
Visitor

No joke I'm afraid, you can do it on 2 DVDs

damn thats <profanity removed by moderator> i'v emailed sony see if i can they any thing

don't have an DVDs :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

I can see them just telling you to buy some DVDs to burn it