Join now - be part of our community!

Netbook VPCM13M1E Freezing

profile.country.en_GB.title
Decko65
Visitor

Netbook VPCM13M1E Freezing

Good morning folks,

I have recently purchased a Sony Netbook and I'm having problems with the screen shuttering and then freezing.  All buttons are rendered useless and then I'm forced to manual restart. It's loaded with Windows 7 Starter and I've noticed the problem in different browsers.  Has anybody got any ideas?

Decko65 :thinking:

12 REPLIES 12
VintagePearl
Visitor

I've had the exact same problem since I got mine in December. Since then I've had it sent to Sony - who could find no problems with it, and then sent to the tech guys to look at the software. They couldn't find anything wrong with it either. Windows has been re-installed at least three times, and this doesn't fix the problem. It's very frustrating. I know you posted this a few months ago so maybe you found a solution by now, but hopeully you'll still reply to this.

Svet_Georgiev
Visitor

Same problem here. I imagine it would be something with the video drivers that are causing the problem but i have found no solution so far. I am unable to update or roll back the graphics driver as the Vaio update fails to update it (Driver 8.14.10.2117). I manually downloaded the driver and system told me i have the latest version of the driver and if wanted i can roll it back to 8.14.10.2117. The current driver installed is aparently 8.14.10.2230.

profile.country.fi_FI.title
afrontini72
Visitor

The same problem here. I bought my Vaio Y11S1E in March 2010 and up to 2 months ago no problems with freezing and unresponding... Sony HELP!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It looks like the latest driver from Intel is Ver 8.14.10.2230 - see the Intel download site here: -

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop...

It may not be a driver problem, what things are you doing when it happens? Exactly what happens and for how long? Any other symptoms?

:thinking:

Svet_Georgiev
Visitor

it happens randomly really - when im typing stuff up in word, when im surving the net even when im playing solitaire. It seems to happen a lot less now (i downloaded the driver which i said the Vaio Update was trying to install and allowed to install over the latest one) but a new problem appeared - the screen would go black and the netbook freezes, requiring a manual restart.

profile.country.GB.title
fingers_phill
New

I have just bought this netbook and am having the same problem.

The netbook works perfectly well when on external power. It is only when using the battery when the problem occurs.

Does anyone have any further info on this problem?

Regards

Phil

torquayau
Visitor

Hey Phil

I have the exact same problem with my Sony netbook. Works away quite happy on mains power or when I have plugged in a small cooling fan unit (plugs in through a USB port).

But if not connected to either it will shut down at random times. So far Sony hasnt been any help in being able to fix the problem. It could be a driver issue, but I've updated all of these and its made no difference.

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution.

Regards

Andrew

profile.country.uk_UA.title
George1979
Explorer

Hi All,

The problem is in BIOS, You need to update the BIOS from version R0120Z4 to R0130Z4, after updating evrything will be good. You must take it to SONY VAIO service center for update.

Best Regards

Message was edited by: George1979

Message was edited by: George1979

profile.country.it_IT.title
maxnex
Visitor

I can promise Sony that this is the last computer I will buy from them ever! Three vaio's, all have been sent back for repairs for one thing or another (Has Sony heard of quality control?) .

Now I find that a simple BIOS update is not available on line and the computer has to be sent to Sony repair to be updated.

My VPCM13M1E is overheating, screen goes blank, switches of on its own – fantastic......rubbish again.