Join now - be part of our community!

New Laptop Hard Drive Space Lost?

cnagra
Visitor

New Laptop Hard Drive Space Lost?

hi

jus brought a new vaio, it said it has 80gb of of space, but only has 67 showing, i noticed that there is a 8 gb recovery partition, is that really needed, i can free that space, but will the laptop still run smoothly, and boot up?...also using a program that shows where the hard drive is being used, it shows 2gigs of files on my C: drive, but there are no random files there, jus folders..any help?

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Once you've created the recovery disk sets (3 copies is good for me) then you can delete the recovery partition and use the whole disk.

cnagra
Visitor

hi

i have made my disks, can you tell me what program to use to delete the recovery part, and add it to my existing drives...thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi cnagra,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

Here is the official Sony guide for removing the special recovery partition

Or you can use a program something like Partition Manager or Partition Magic

cnagra
Visitor

hi

do u know any that are free?

thanks

kee-lo_

AFAIK there are no free partition managers who can do this, but I'd love to be proven wrong

robpaxton
Explorer

The easiest way is to follow the Sony guide that Thalamus posted (backup your user files before you do the reinstall).

There is a free partition manager at http://www.ranish.com/part/ but I've never used it and it doesn't look too friendly :wink:

It's a good idea to backup your important files before using any partition editing tools.

kee-lo_

Not for the faint hearted that Rob