Join now - be part of our community!

no hyperthreading and no mobile chip

pleibling
Visitor

no hyperthreading and no mobile chip

hmm. the notebook descritpion show an intel p4 mobile 3.06 chip (type 532).

intel website show:

- mobile cpu
- hyper threading
- advanced intel speedstep technologie

i download the cpu detection tools from intel and this show:

- no mobile cpu
- no hyperthreading
- no advanced inte speedstep technologie

aks your hardware manufacturer.

so i call the sony vaio support, but they can not help me (i think, the person don't know what is hyperhtreading, speedstep and a mobile cpu).

can somebody talk me, how i can activate the hyperhtreading and where i can use the speedstep technologie (i need not all the time many power) and how i can configure mobile cpu options?

17 REPLIES 17
TygerTyger
Visitor

Which model of laptop do you have?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like you have a desktop CPU in your notebook.
As TT said we need to know the model.

TygerTyger
Visitor

I tried to look it up on Sony Style UK but amusingly their site just gave me errors one after the other STILL from when I looked last time. Really, I just can't take them seriously anymore.

kee-lo_

Tyger a frioend of mine wanted to order a screen and she couldn't because the site had so many errors.

pleibling
Visitor

the laptop is an pcg-k315z the cpu an the cpu is an intel p4 mobile 3.06 cpu (type 532).

the intel tool say its an 532, but not mobile and not speedstep technologie.

kee-lo_

Do you have Sony Notebook Setup installed?

pleibling
Visitor

yes, i have one partition with preinstalled xp home, and one partition with xp media center 2005. in the home partition is the notebook setup.

kee-lo_

How the heck did you get Windows Media Centre?
That's only distributed by manufacturs.

pleibling
Visitor

i have 3 media center pc (1 aopen ey65, 1 shuttle sb61g2 and the sony vaio), two in original (in germany you can get it over ebay - since mce 2005 you can get it normal at distributors, not only over manufacturer), and one from msdn (i have maps, msdn, technet ...).

i have this configuration with omega radeon drivers (the nromal ati drivers wont work with mce) and a hauppauge usbpvr2 tv card (with active mpeg2 processor).

works fine, but the laptop is very loud.

price laptop 1500¿, media center 2005 119¿, usbpvr2 149¿ and the mce 2003 remote v2 39¿. = 1807¿ for a cool mobile media center.

now i want wo make it quietly (i hope i can down clock the cpu, so that the laptop is quiet at normal working or tv watching - the mpeg 2 chip of the tv box render the stream). thats why i buy an laptop with intel cpu type 532 - but it cannot use speedstep and intel utility says no speedstep system.

look at this:

intel cpu detection tool (show thats the cpu support hyper threading):

but the tool does not detect hyper threading and speedstep:

that is the laptop cpu (no hyperthreading):

and that is a normal hyper threading cpu:

this is the overview from intel for this cpu:

sony desciption (thats tell, that is a mobile cpu):

how can i use hyper threading and speedstep???