Join now - be part of our community!

no hyperthreading and no mobile chip

pleibling
Visitor

no hyperthreading and no mobile chip

hmm. the notebook descritpion show an intel p4 mobile 3.06 chip (type 532).

intel website show:

- mobile cpu
- hyper threading
- advanced intel speedstep technologie

i download the cpu detection tools from intel and this show:

- no mobile cpu
- no hyperthreading
- no advanced inte speedstep technologie

aks your hardware manufacturer.

so i call the sony vaio support, but they can not help me (i think, the person don't know what is hyperhtreading, speedstep and a mobile cpu).

can somebody talk me, how i can activate the hyperhtreading and where i can use the speedstep technologie (i need not all the time many power) and how i can configure mobile cpu options?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Wow sounds like you have some great PCs
I would take this up with Sony, it's clear as day you were supposed to have HT and mobile CPU

pleibling
Visitor

sound good. tell me what sony says.

feederfan
Visitor

The mobile chips do not have hyperthreading. I have the Intel Mobile 2.8Ghz chip in my k series and it is the same. a desktop P4 of the same speed would have hyperthreading. There is no way you could have a desktop chip in your laptop, you would only get about 45mins battery life for a start!

pleibling
Visitor

intel p4 cpu with 533 mhz frontsidebus has hyperthreading from 3.06 ghz, only intel p4 cpu with 800 mhz front side bus has hyperthreading at 2.6 ghz.

in the answers before you see that the cpu has mobile (tells sony product page) and has hyperthreading (tells intel page).

is it possible that it is a chipset problem? i found an information "hyperthreading must support from chipset, bios, operating system and cpu". on all my desktop computers with mce 2005 p4/2.6ghz/800mhz fsb and p4/3.06ghz/533 mhz on intel 865 chipsets and one small business server 2003 with dual xeon 2.6 ghz on intel 7502 serverchipset - thats all works fine with hyperthreading.

but the laptop has an ati igp chipset - i think this support not hyperthreading. could it be???

feederfan
Visitor

yes, thats probably it. Does the pentium 4 sticker on your laptop have the letters HT on the top right hand corner? If not then your processor is not HT compatible.

Jay1
Visitor

Hi

I got the k315s which i was not happy at all as i thought it had hyperthreading. I phoned sony up, they knew as much as i did. they said it does not have hyperthreading.

http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/mobilepentium4/index.htm

Hyper-Threading Technology requires a computer system with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology and an HT Technology enabled chipset, BIOS and operating system. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use. See http://www.intel.com/info/hyperthreading/ for more information including details on which processors support HT Technology.

If anyone knows how to upgrade my laptop to HTT please let me know

I

Jay1
Visitor
stallarddk
Visitor

This all sounds a bit worrying, I have a k315M and must say the performance is quite bad when compared to that of my previous Compaq (AMD XP 2400+, same amount of RAM and same Graphics card) notebook.

I was reading a post stating that these machines could not have a desktop chip otherwise you would only get about 45 mins battery life, well I have not even had an hour out of the battery (this is using a wireless card to access broadband so not too sure wether that will kill the battery).

If it is the case that we do not have the 532 P4 chip then surely we have the right to get a full refund on the machine under the sales description act??

This is my first VAIO and although I am impressed with the packaged software the performance is a disappointment, not too sure whether that is due to the hard drive, processor or a number of things...:smileyconfused: