Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT compatibility issue to upgrading to Windows 7?

profile.country.en_GB.title
indpatel
Visitor

Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT compatibility issue to upgrading to Windows 7?

Hi,

Has anyone resolved the upgrade compatibility issue for a "Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT" hardware to Windows 7 for a Sony VAIO VGC-RT1SU all-in-one desktop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
indpatel
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I have attached the Window 7 Upgrade advisor report from my email server to you as this discussion site is throwing up a message saying, "this type of attachment is not allowed".   The driver date is 24/07/2008, driver version: 7.15.11.7622

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kind Regards,

Indra.

indpatel
Visitor

Hi Rich,

The email I sent you from my server bounced back! unable to deliver.

Any suggestions as to how I can send it to you?

Regards,

Indra.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Indra,

Can you take a screenshot (using Snipping Tool) of the relevant part of the report and attach it?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
indpatel
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Attached screen shot of the report showing the unknown nvidia details.

Thanks,

Indra.

Capture.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Indra,

You are receiving a different report than me on the same graphics card.

Compatibility.JPG

Although the upgrade advisor is known to throw up problems that don’t exist I really don’t know the way forward from here.

I have Goggled the problem, as I am sure you have, and have not found the exact problem. There of plenty of reports of driver problems after upgrading but this is not relevant in your case.

I can only suggest that you format the drive before attempting a Custom install of Win 7 – I doubt somehow that this will resolve the issue as a Custom Install should do this anyway.

If anyone else can add to this please feel free.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
indpatel
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your help to resolve this issue, I did try the custom install, but it failed at the hardware not recognised.

Maybe I should replace the graphic card on the VGC-RT1SU, what do you think, any suggestions?

Indra.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Inrda,

Unfortunately replacing in the GPU is not a viable option with this model as it is part of/soldered to the motherboard.

It would be extremely useful if another member with the same graphics chip, and preferably the same model, that has successfully upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 could report their results....

Rich

EDIT: When you receive a failure message “failed at the hardware not recognised” does it state anywhere that it is the Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT that caused the failure?

Do you have any external devices attached when attempting to upgrade or fresh install?

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
indpatel
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Initially I had the USB lead connected to the printer with it switched on during the installation process and then with nothing connected and received the same message "the hardware on this computer is not compatible, hardware configuration failure".

No reason given as to what has failed, I assumed as the advisor report has not recognised the Nvidia chip compatibility with Windows 7 hence the failure.

Regards,

Indra

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Indra,

As there is no further hardware that you can disconnect I suggest that you have a look at the following link, read the whole guide but pay particular attention to page 10 onward.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Another alternative would be to try a different version of Win 7 using Custom Install.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
indpatel
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your help.  I shall give it a go.

Indra