Join now - be part of our community!

Obtaining the MAC address for my TR5MP

garybyrne
Visitor

Obtaining the MAC address for my TR5MP

:slight_frown: Hi, in the ongoing search for enhanced wireless security of my home network, it has been suggested that I limit access by use of controlling the connection to the server by MAC address. The problem is that I cannot obtain the MAC address of my TR5MP, every time I try the command line, the "DOS" window disappears berfore I can read it.
Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Gary

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

At the prompt type IPCONFIG/All. The Physical addresses/ Mac addresses of all of your network cards will be listed along with the rest of your network details.

garybyrne
Visitor

Dear Rob,
Thanks for this, I am now all nice and secure with 128 bit WEP and 2 PCs which have known MAC adresses.

Cheers

Gary

feederfan
Visitor

You really dont need that much security on a home network. I have a 128bit WEP key, and I tried to break it myself using my laptop and linux, but it has to capture about 1,000,000 packets! which is about a months worth of data transfer! i doubt many people know how to do that anyway, and even if they do, i doubt they will have time!

garybyrne
Visitor

You are quite correct, I do not need this level of security for a normal home network, but I am using a work PC to log onto the corporate network via a VPN and it was thought that this enhanced level of security was advisable.

Chhers for the response

Gary