Join now - be part of our community!

Downloading Pics from Digital Cameras, I Wish.

Scratchy
Visitor

Downloading Pics from Digital Cameras, I Wish.

:slight_frown: :thinking:
Does anyone have the same problem. I own a Canon D60 Digital SLR camera. When I connect a USB cable to it and my Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1L, it does not recognise my camera. Is there any way around this are there any drivers available for my VP. This was one of the main reasons for choosing the Sony over the iPod, the fact I could use the disc space to store pics when on holiday. This coupled with the Vaio's poor volume levels has got me thinking I made the Wrong choice in Sony. When you look at the iPod, it has so much more going for it. They say you get what you pay for in life. I am now thinking I got a Bummer when I chose the Sony over the iPod. Any help would be really appreciated on the camera issue. It does not even recognise my Canon G3 Powershot digital either. To be Honest I reckon it will only recognise Sony's own brand of camera. Come on Sony come Clean, why not publish a list of cameras the VP is compatible with. What about issuing a driver download for different makes of cameras. If there is no help forthcoming, my only alternative will be to Dump the damn thing in favour or the iPod.
Regards John.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I think a simple Firmware update would fix the problem. But the last update was 2004. And I don't think there comes a new one. Bring your VP back to shop, if you can. Maybe you replace it with an iPod. But there are new iPods out. The iPod Photo doesn't exist any more. The iPod has a color display and do the same job like the iPod photo.
Your VaioPocket is death. I don't think there will come any new updates.

grizedale
Visitor

This coupled with the Vaio's poor volume levels has got me thinking I made the Wrong choice in Sony.
Regards John.

Make sure AVLS is turned off under the Sound Settings.

CuBiK
Visitor

. I own a Canon D60 Digital SLR camera. 

And that's the problem... Pics download works only with sony cybershots camera (any kind i think).

I have one, and it works very fine. Maybe you should buy a sony cam when your canon cam is out of order. And as for buying an ipod photo... It's not the best idea too, there are plenty of jukeboxes which read picture cards, and they are almost always cheaper and better build than ipod.

Scratchy
Visitor

Yeah, Thanx folks for replying. I have come to the opinion that Sony is one of those Eastern countries that takes ya money and that's about it. They don't seem to care about it's customers, or support. Definately the Last Sony product I am buying. How they think serious Photographers are going to use a Cybershot over a Canon Digital SLR I just don't know. They must be on a different planet to me. Digital SLR's are the Creme de creme, and deserve to be treated so.
Cheers again folks.

GBS
Visitor

How they think serious Photographers are going to use a Cybershot over a Canon Digital SLR I just don't know. They must be on a different planet to me. Digital SLR's are the Creme de creme, and deserve to be treated so.
Cheers again folks.

I agree - I have both. The cybershot fits in my pocket and takes very good pictures, but my Canon EOS350 takes exceptional pictures in far more trying situations. I love them both.

I don't have a VP so I am having a guess... can you copy the Canon WIA driver to the VP from a PC? I am sure there must be a workaround this....

M16025
Visitor

There is a way to copy the pics from any camera to the pocket vaio.
Get a card reader, connect the card reader to the vaio, put the memory card from the camera on the card reader and transfer the pics.
I tested it with mem cards from sony cameras, canon, casio, etc.
They all worked.

Scratchy
Visitor

I agree - I have both. The cybershot fits in my pocket and takes very good pictures, but my Canon EOS350 takes exceptional pictures in far more trying situations. I love them both.

I don't have a VP so I am having a guess... can you copy the Canon WIA driver to the VP from a PC? I am sure there must be a workaround this....

I like the idea of copying the Canon WIA driver to the VP, but would anyone know which folder to copy it into. I wouldn't want to put it into Any folder in case It causes any problems with the operation of the VP. Many thanks to all who have posted replies so far. I sence I'm not far from a solution, so come on you computer buffs, which folder????
regards JB.