Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading Memory PCV-RS402

L-Pete
Visitor

Upgrading Memory PCV-RS402

I wonder if any one can answer my questionI have a Vaio PCV-RS402 desktop and I would like to upgrade the memory at the moment it has 2 x 256Mb memory modules in two of the four slots available.Can I add a 512Mb memory module or will I have to use 256Mb modules.The maximum amount of memory it can handle is 2048Mb.S really what I want to know is can I mix the size's of module or do they all have to be the same size.
I will look forwards to any help or advice anyone can give me,anyway I hope your all having a nice day....

Pete.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Pete,
Your system has 2 banks of 2 which means that you have to add two modules at a time. So in essence, if you whish to leave the existing modules in position, you can add either 2 x 256 or 2 x 512 Mb chips to the other bank.
I hope that this helps.
Btw have a look at Crucial if you are planning on buying memory ¿ they are reliable and competitive.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
L-Pete
Visitor

Thanks very much Rich912 for the advice and info and the link too,I will check out the web site and get 2 x 512Mb chips.
Is it worth buying chips with their own heat sinks attached and would they fit that is the most important point I suppose.
Anyway thanks I will get browsing,I hope your having a nice day...
Pete.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Is it worth buying chips with their own heat sinks attached and would they fit that is the most important point I suppose.

Pete,

Unless you you are having difficulties, ie memory problems, I doubt that this would be necessary. Stick with what Crucial offer and I doubt that you will experiance any problems.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
L-Pete
Visitor

HI Rich912, thanks very much for your advice,I ordered 2 x 512Mb modules on thursday night from Crucial, and they came this morning, in the post.I took the case off the desktop and found that the 2 x 256Mb modules were in numbers 1 and 3 slots of the 4 slots.So I spoke a nice nice girl at Crucial and she suggested I put them in pairs, which I had thought may be the answer.So I took the module from nimber 3 slot and popped it into number 2 slot then popped the 512Mb modules into the 3 and 4 slots and put the case back on.I booted the PC and it was fine it now has 1.50Gb or memory,I am well pleased.
Thanks again for your advice and the link ,and I hope your having a nice day and a relaxing weekend,all the best.....
Pete.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Pete,

I am very pleased to hear that you have your new memory and that it is installed and working.
The only thing that concerns me is the fact that the existing modules were in banks 1 and 3. Not all motherboards use a 1 2 3 4 scheme; some use 1 3 2 4. If, as I suspect, yours uses 1 3 2 4 then you could run into stability problems with your present configuration. I therefore suggest that you pair 1&3, 2&4 and see how that works.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat