Join now - be part of our community!

OLD MOTHERBOARD ON RS222 - ANYONE ELSE FOUND SIMILAR

OLD MOTHERBOARD ON RS222 - ANYONE ELSE FOUND SIMILAR

I bought a RS222 late last year thinking it was a relatively modern machine with Athlon XP2800+ chip. However, having purchased it I then discovered that the motherboard used ((A7N266VX) is a fairly old motherboard and runs at 266mhz rather than the 333mhz that the Athlon XP2800+ was designed to run at. This also means that the memory I got with my Vaio was the old PC2100 rather than the PC2700 that I was expecting. I have read on one of the hardware review websites that the unlike some previous models of the Athlon, the Athlon 2800+ is not desing to run on 266mhz boards with a 333mhz board being a prerequisite. This may explain the overheating issue (beeping and flashing blue Vaio sign) that myself and some other people are experiencing. As I noted in a previous thread, SiSoftSandra reports that my processor is running at 2128mhz (16x multiplier) rather than the 2083mhz (12.5x multiplier) that AMD say it should be running at.

I am going to contact Sony for comment on this issue, but would like to know if users of other AMD based models have similar problems. You wouldn't think a major manufacturer like Sony would build computers which with incorrect/old components, but I suppose I should have listened to the people that said don't buy a Vaio.

Please email me on vaioproblems@yahoo.co.uk if you have a similar problem.

0 REPLIES 0