Join now - be part of our community!

PCG- FX103 Memory / Motherboard problem

haywarda
Visitor

PCG- FX103 Memory / Motherboard problem

Hi,

I have a Vaio FX103, which has a random problem recognising the installed memory banks, i have two ram sticks 128 and 256 both Crucial, but on start up it may fail to recognise either or both of them.

I have tried switching the ram banks and having only one stick installed in either bank, but on start up i get a 1-3-3-1 error beep.

If I then remove and reseat the memory it will boot and all is ok until the next time, most often occurs on a Monday morning when it has been powered off for the weekend.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement motherboard for this unit, it may not be viable to replace it but need to know what options are available to me.

OS is Windows XP Home if that is relevant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alan Hayward

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like the soldering problem a lot of people were having in the past.

You could probably get a new motherboard, but I'm not sure what they charge for it.

haywarda
Visitor

Thanks for the inormation, was not aware of that problem.

After Googling it found a lot of unhappy people with similar problems, although seems the FX Series was not quite so prone.

I think as the laptop is a company one and been worked hard for three years without missing a beat, not worth the hassle and cost of a repair.

Time to look for a new notebook , maybe another Vaio 🙂

Cheers
Alan

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Time to look for a new notebook , maybe another Vaio 🙂

Good choice:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If it's a company machine I wouldn't worry about ut, it's up to the IT dept what they'll do.