Join now - be part of our community!

TR5MP - broken DVD - repair issues

hjb
Visitor

TR5MP - broken DVD - repair issues

I bought a TR5MP in London in early Sept. Then moved with work to Ukraine (yes, thats why I wanted a light laptop!) Almost immediately the DVD drive started acting up; but it worked eventually everytime so I put up with it. In mid-November it finally gave up the ghost - it will play CDs no problem but refuses to recognise any DVDs (either +/- or movie). E-support suggested some fixes including trying to start up with the recovery disk, which is a DVD. Didn't recognise that either - so according to them, it needs a repair.

BUT, the repair can't be done in Ukraine so they want me to UPS the laptop to the UK. Never mind the high cost , lack of UPS facilities where I am in Ukraine, language difficulties, customs regulations etc.

Maybe I'm naive - but I'm really disappointed that a huge company like Sony sells an expensive, high-end piece of equipment which was clearly defective before purchase, then expects ME to pay & sort out the logistics of returning it for repair.

Yes, I know that's what the guarantee says, it just seems petty. Its their machine that they sold with defects, why does it cost me time & money to get them to fix it to the state it should have been sold it to start with??

Sorry, mostly a rant so far - the chances of me ever buying Sony again are going down by the second... but I do have a question!

Has anyone else had a similar issue & managed to get it fixed elsewhere? I'm wondering if a non-Sony place can fit a new DVD drive... after all, even if that invalidates the warranty, its not like the warranty is a lot of use to me right now anyway!

Any ideas / suggestions / recommendations?? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

God I am so sorry to hear that, sounds like Sony want to mess you around.

I had a problem with my DVD drive too on my K115B, the fix was to download firmware updates for the microcode on the DVD drive, and download a BIOS update OR package the VAIO and send it back to Sony for repair which is still not an option because I need this computer to work flawlessly.

Have you tried a DVD lens cleaner? It's a last resort before you send the computer back but if this fails then it sounds pretty dead...
Try ringing Sony instead and see if the answer differs,

There is no way they should expect you to ship your computer with UPS and think that is OK - ITS NOT OK!:smileycry:

If you are messed around further then consider taking legal advice. A solicitor can more accurately assess your case better than I can.

Above all, good luck!:smileypraying:

hjb
Visitor

Thanks. I think I will try calling them - international phone rates are cheaper than UPS! I'll also try the lens cleaner if I can find any.

You know, maybe I'm weird, but I wouldn't mind so much if it had worked for 6/7 months & then broken, these things happen, its the fact that it was clearly defective BEFORE I bought it that pisses me off.

Thanks for the support :cool:

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Hi There.

I'm afraid there's little you can do.

The problem you have is pretty common with other commodities. Even when your warranty was valid they usually have a clause in them refering to "Point of sale". In other words YOU have to return the machine to the place you originally bought it from. Whilst other Sony outlets are (usually) able to complete work for you under the terms of the warranty, if Sony ask for it to be returned to the "point of sale" that's what you have to do. In the eyes of the law Sony aren't refusing to carry out the work they are just asking you to return it to the shop. Pretty awful but that's the way of things. That's one of the reasons it's very difficult to get your PC fixed under warranty whilst away from home.

Of course Sony may well play the "contributary negligence" card by saying that, as you were aware of a problem but didn't return the machine to Sony, you are partly responsible for any subsequent failure.

You may have some legal redress under the terms of the Treaty of Rome which prohibits any moves from manufacturers to impede the sale of goods across European borders. How warranties fare under the treaty I have no idea. If I were to buy a car in say Spain and the paintwork turns out to be defective it is my responsibility to return it to the supplying dealer. Mechanical warranties on the other hand are usually European wide.

The Ukraine is not a European member country so you might be a little bit stuck I'm afraid.

As James rightly said. Try the lens cleaner first!

hjb
Visitor

Yes, the warranty small print told me that, I just think that it sucks!! Unfortunately when you work overseas there are a lot of things like this that make life a little more complex. Again, I accept it, but I don't have to like it! So please excuse the rant :smileyblush:

I guess if the lens cleaner doesn't work, I come back to the second part of my question. Is it possible that I could get the DVD drive replaced by someone else? More money I'm sure but I wouldn't have my laptop being couriered across the continent twice & be without it for a long time - plus maybe I could get one that isn't set to Region 2 (another pain for those of us that live overseas). It may be worth it to me, but not speaking much Ukrainian or Russian I need to know what to ask for before I investigate further.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You would have to look in your local Yellow Pages.