Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K215B Hard Drive Upgrade

HappyFriar
Visitor

PCG-K215B Hard Drive Upgrade

Hi
I have a three year old PCG-K215B fitted with a Fujitsu 40Gb hard drive. I would like to upgrade this with a Western Digital WD1200BEVE 120Gb drive. Does anyone know if this would be compatible and if not is there a list of compatible drives. The specifications of the two drives appear the same apart from the size,cache and spindle speed. The other thing I need to know is can the motherboard and BIOS handle the bigger drive.

Regards David Parkes

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi

I have installed a Hitachi 80GB hard drive into a K115Z recently, the drive is quieter than the Toshiba original and I have not noticed any heat increase either.

Hitachi 80GB HTS541080G9AT00 specification PDF sheet http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/3DC5E7AD021F5A8386256EBA00749D6D/$file/Travelsta...

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the forum,
Here are a list of NEW model K series hard drives which may have drawn your attention and certainly got me excited too but alas the chipset we both have on board will only handle 5400 rpm ATA hard drives up to 80 gig let alone the battery hungry 7200rpm WD you have pointed out. I'm in the same boat with a PCG K215Z my wifey uses to death. Still 80 gig is just enough for sewing patterns and cute stuff. :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

HappyFriar
Visitor

Hi Tony
Thanks for the information a pity we cannot go above 80Gb I will just have to go and find one. For my interest do you know the make and model of the motherboard and where I might find a copy of the manual online.

Regards David Parkes

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for your input kai-zen.. :slight_smile: