Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K315Z and Hyperthreading

CBergy
Visitor

PCG-K315Z and Hyperthreading

Hi,

I bought a Vaio PCG-K315Z, and I'm quite satisfied of it.

I was trying to understand if my notebook supports Hyperthreading technology: stating from CPU model, a 3Ghz Intel Mobile Pentium 4 532, it should be available, and my XP Home should be able to use it too, but in task manager I can see only one CPU, as in device manager.

Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

CBergy

8 REPLIES 8
Woody27
Visitor

No, you're not missing anything!

If it has a P4 with HT you should see little HT letters on the 'Intel Inside' badge, or go to device manager (from My Computer) and look at the processor properties, if HT it should say 'multiple' or something similar!

Although a P4 with HT can perform more than one 'thread' (task) at once it is only a single processor (not like Apple Mac's that have two physical processors)!

So, the computer is reporting correctly!

The P4 HT acts like two chips, but is only a single chip! :smileygrin:

NOTE: Programs have to be written specifically to take advantage of HT technology and as yet many are not! Some none HT enabled programs can actually run slightly slower on a HT system. In laptops the P4 HT can also lead to instability issues as it generates even more heat than a normal P4! :slight_frown:

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

If you click on "experience" at the top of the page you can view a video clip which explains how HT works with your PC.

Woody27
Visitor

If you click on "experience" at the top of the page you can view a video clip which explains how HT works with your PC.

Twisted,

I'm afraid they moved that link!

Pity, it was quite informative!

CW

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Sorry guys. It's under "Learn"
Might get it right one of these days:smileycry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah I enjoyed that movie as well.

CBergy
Visitor

If it has a P4 with HT you should see little HT letters on the 'Intel Inside' badge, or go to device manager (from My Computer) and look at the processor properties, if HT it should say 'multiple' or something similar!

No, nothing of this. My "Intel Inside badge" has no HT letters, nor the device manager say anything like that. Anyway, from CPU number I know that it should perform HT.

Although a P4 with HT can perform more than one 'thread' (task) at once it is only a single processor (not like Apple Mac's that have two physical processors)!

I know, but under XP you should see two processor under Device Manager and two CPU graph under Task Manager, like if you have two phisical processor . Nothing like that happens.

The P4 HT acts like two chips, but is only a single chip! :smileygrin:

Correct, but XP should detect it and show two "virtual" processor.

I'm still puzzled, I can only think that, since HT should be supported from BIOS too, my VAIO BIOS is not supporting it.

Thank you anyway.
Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Remember Windows XP Home does not normally have support for multiple CPU's - many will show as only one CPU. This should not affect the performance of your computer...

HT is not all that great because it can make application run worse with it enabled if the programs are not HT enabled...

The BIOS may support it but the option you need is likely shielded so you cannot alter it - Sony do this with the BIOS probably to prevent accidental modifications.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sorry James but HT is supported under Windows XP Home, sitting here on my RA104 it shows two graphs and there's multiple CPUs in device manager.