Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-Z1XMP Display Problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
simbell48
Visitor

PCG-Z1XMP Display Problem

I was using the laptop yesterday with no problems when all of a sudden the screen become corrupted. I assumed it was just a general crash so I rebooted the laptop (I could still make out windows underneath the corruption). On rebooting, it transpired that everything on screen appears to be corrupt, from the intro animation, bios screen, windows loading screen and windows itself. In operation, the laptop still produces no errors and appears to be fine apart from the screen corruption.

I tried a few things to narrow down the problem. The laptop has been reset using the small reset hole, the battery was left out over night, this did not affect the problem. I also hooked the laptop up via its external monitor port, and the corruption is present on this screen as well, so I think this rules out the actual LCD display? I also found that if I did a printscreen, windows actually grabs the corruption.

I submited a case to e-support, how long do you normally have to wait for a reply? Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong with it? and if it's likely to be fixable? The laptop is out of warranty.

Here is the screengrab

5 REPLIES 5
apierc1
Visitor

Phone them (unless you are out of warranty) e-suppport is apparently very slow, the best action is always to phone them 1st (as long as it's under warranty)

simbell48
Visitor

As stated, i'm afriad it's out of warranty, is e-support now my only route for a fix?

kee-lo_

Ugh, that's blinding!

Looks like it could be a problem with the graphics chip. Is the notebook running very hot?

simbell48
Visitor

Not that I had noticed. The only time it appears hot is when charging. This problem occurs both when running on battery, and from the mains though.

kee-lo_

Does it happen in Safe Mode?

Press F8 once you see the VAIO Logo and hold it down 5secs