Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio DC socket lose on mother

profile.country.en_GB.title
shah110
New

Vaio DC socket lose on mother

Hi i have a vaio a few years old a PCG model which has a DC socket problem, have been told its very common in Vaio but becuase its out of warranty its going to cost 830euro anybody got any ideas alternative apart from purchasing new Vaio which cost the same price as repairing this old one.

If you had this problem how did sont sort it out, dont they offer a new vaio at a discounted price were thier is a known problem with vaio out side warranty etc.

Look forward to input from all members and possible advice. thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Sha,

You could order the part from Nexttronics it would probably cost less than $50, unfortunately Nexttronics is a US based company but they do ship worldwide..:smileyhappy:

robpaxton
Explorer

Contact a local laptop repairer, don't try to repair the socket yourself. The socket will need to be resoldered to the motherboard which is normally a ten minute job once the laptop is dismantled. You need a professional with the correct soldering gear though.

shah110
New

Thxs for reply, i have taken it to a laptop repairer in London he has put a new DC socket on but it dosnt work, he has said the problem is with mother board, when the laptop is open it works when he closes it up the dc socket comes loose again, vaio say 830euro to repair ie to replace mother board.

kee-lo_

830 EUROS!?!?!?! My GOD!

Probably cheaper to buy a new laptop!

shah110
New

830 EUROS!?!?!?!  My GOD!

Probably cheaper to buy a new laptop!

Thanks 4 advice i was having the same thought, a new Note Book is cheaper, but its a bit of a let down from Sony Vaio honestly, becuase i have heard that all Vaios have this problem new and old so any advice re perhaps which models to avoid etc.

Thanks

skykit84
New

Doesnt help but a friend of mine had a PCG (the 16" screen ones) and he had the same problem after a year and a half
He too took it to a laptop repair shop in London to find he was told the same as you... its the motherboard.

Once he got the laptop back, it had the connector missing, PSU missing and CDs missing which I assume the store in London stole.

In the end, I sold the laptop as it is on Ebay because it was not the mobo that had gone (charged battery booted it up fine) and got £250 back for it
Now considering the laptop was close to £2000 (now) 2 years ago... 250 come back on an old, and quite battered laptop isnt bad. Its also a desktop processor with only cdrw/dvd so we were happy (andit was not working anymore!)

kee-lo_

Akash you were lucky there.