Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-RX203 Bios update

Joris
Visitor

PCV-RX203 Bios update

Is there a BIOS update available for the PCV-RX203? I couldn't find it anywhere on the VAIO website.

I'm looking for a BIOS update because I recently bought a freecom USB harddisk. I wanted to put an operating system on one of the partitions of my USB harddisk, so I could boot from it.

The BIOS only supports booting from USB zip drives or USB FDD and neither work for my USB harddisk. Is there a newer bios available or should I give up the dream of using the USB harddisk this way?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Is there a BIOS update available for the PCV-RX203? I couldn't find it anywhere on the VAIO website.

If it's not on www.vaio-link.com there isn't one.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

The trouble is Sony rebranded BIOS's tend to largely ignore USB support for external devices.:smileydevil:

You probably will not achieve much by updating your BIOS and be warned that this can kill your computer. As a futher precaution always get official downloads from VAIO-Link.

Do not do as I foolishly did once and got a patch from DriverGuides.com to patch the BIOS and kill a working PC.

If you still want to go ahead, only use the European VAIO-Link site.

I have a feeling it will be largely useless...:smileysad:

kee-lo_

Maybe he can use a bookdisk and use the drive like that?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

The guys on this site can upgrate a Bios and other things.

http://www.bios-info.de/

But they don't like and don't support VAIOs.:smileysad:

kee-lo_

Charming LOL

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

LOL,

But the service is good. If you have demaged your BIOS, you can send your PC to this guys. They will replace the BIOS ROM and burn a new BIOS in the ROM.

And that for a price from which you dreams. But they do this not with a VAIO.

I have ask them for approx 4 months, for a BIOS upgrade.:smileyblush:

kee-lo_

There are services in the UK who do this.

Joris
Visitor

Oh well, maybe I can put it on my wish list for the next computer I buy. For now I will take a live cd along with my USB harddisk. Thanks for the replies.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

As Kee-Lo said, a possible alternative would be to create a bootable floppy disk drive with USB support. Boot from this, access the USB hard drive and load the operating system.
I can¿t see why this will not work but someone may correct me.
I am a little confused as to why you want to boot from the USB drive especially as you say ¿For now I will take a live cd along with my USB harddisk¿.:smileyconfused:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat