Join now - be part of our community!

Why are ipod owners bitter?

hldomster
Visitor

Why are ipod owners bitter?

Check this link out. God, why are they so bitchy, come on, sony released a portable music player - get over it!!

Another thing, do Sony intend on releasing anymore firmware updates, and is there plans for a VGF-AP2L??

Anyone got any gossip?

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'm an iPod user and I wouldn't use VP, it's no way as good.
It's all to do with DRM for me, iTunes is a lot fairer than SS and Connect.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

I too am an ipod owner.

I had a brief relationship with a VP but I found Sonic Stage slow and cumbersome and, like Kee-Lo, didn't fancy the DRM aspect of it much. It fell over several times whilst the ipod hasn't missed a beat yet. I also didn't like the fact that apart from a case there aren't any accessories for the VP.

Bitter? Not really. Happier though.

@4967457401015621
Visitor

I'm an iPod owner, and, sorry to buck the trend, I love my VP and think the iPod is a POS. It's a 1st gen 5gb one, and it's been replaced twice by Apple after it died, it recently corrupted a large batch of files when I was using it as a portable HD. I won't go into my objections to the iPod, but I just use SS to download music to my VP and then use the VP on its own. I don't buy music on the internet, I buy CDs and rip them to mp3. So for me the VP is far better than the iPod, and to be honest I think the sound is better on the VP and many other things are better. People have tried the 'well the build quality will improve with later models' and I think that's rubbish, build quality should never have been an issue! The comments being made about the VP were pretty stupid in my opinion, I really don't think looks are an issue for it. It's to sit in your pocket! and I don't think the 3rd gen iPod looks too great either to be honest..

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I don't have one of both. Only a old Panasonic SL-CT790 with died batteries. Which was a fantastic portable CD player for approx 3 years ago. I personal like the iPod mini. But I would like to have a player which supports more then the Formats like MP3, Atrac, WMA or AAC.

OggVorbis or Lame would be nice. Lame is possible with the most MP3 Players. But the energy consumption is higher if you use Lame. OggVorbis is really rare.

At the moment I must say iRiver has excellent multi format players. I would like to have a pmp120. But that damn thing cost more than a MACmini.

click me for details

Or a A320 which supports OggVorbis.

hldomster
Visitor

Ive only briefly used an ipod, and I think that both have pro's and cons. The ipod interface is faster, I'll give them that, and it looks quite sleek, and ofcourse it isn't let down by poor software. On the other hand, I think the VP looks much better, its very unique and I like the ergonomic grip. The touch pad is nice, but let down because the interface is slow, but its certainly different from the click wheel. I also think the sound quaity is superior on the VP, and as tracks are ATRAC you fit many more onto the VP than an ipod. ATRAC is a good file format, and would be better than mp3 if Sony let others use it. But its let down as it isnt compatible with anything. The VP is also quite solid, a Sony Skoda. The battery life lets the VP down, but I don;t know how the ipod compares in that respect. There are far more accessories for the iPod, but as the VP only has the cover, its less things for me to shell out on. Altogether I'm happy with mine, and I guess you guys are happy with yours, but nthose guys on that forum we're making comments that were not factual, and that were way too biased, and that is an injustice to a good music player.

However, I don't think iPod stand a chacnce against the 40 hour battery of the NW-HD5 with sonicstage 3.1:smileycool:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

but nthose guys on that forum we're making comments that were not factual, and that were way too biased, and that is an injustice to a good music player.

That's true.:smileycool: But my portable Panasonic CD-player runs approx 100 hours for approx 2 years ago. Sad the the batteries was died after one year.

kee-lo_

Don't get me wrong, I have no bitter feeling to the VP, just if they had done a better job of it then I would have one, but as Apple won for me (freedom and less DRM) then they win.

I only like MP3 players where I have freedom to do WHAT I WANT, I paid a fortune for the player, I'm not going to have Sony breathing down my neck telling me when and what to do with with the files.

constantine_jk
Visitor

As with everything in life,many people like to be fanatic about the products they own. Take for example cars....oh boy! It is the same as with PDAs. I really like HP as the support is excellent. When it came buying my first PDA, 7 months ago, I bought the new then iPAQ4700. Quality was superb and it was so advanced. I changed 4 times though for various problems (dead pixel, problem with the cradle etc). After that I took my money back and I started thinking of buying a Palm.

I spent a lot of time in forums and the repies would be either black or white. It is like a war between the two sides. At the end I bought a Palm.It was much cheaper, compared to the cost of the 4700 which was £430, and although the support is bad, it is doing the job. In some areas in not as good as the HP the OS though is superior, but I guess whatever you pay you get.

There is no perfect PDA, MP3 player etc. Everything is a matter of compromise. This is a fact.

My VP is my first player and I came also with the dillema iPOD, Sony HD3 or VP. I finally got the VP as I liked better the sound of it, compared to the iPOD, it seemed to have better built quality and I liked the interface. Also, from my experience, Sony has better support globally that Apple. I think that Apple's support is not an issue providing you live in english speaking countries.

OK, it might be slow in operations sometimes and SS is not the best, especially when compared to iTunes. It is made Japan, which is good for a change these days....

I chose the VP as I think that it covers my needs the best, that's all. It is not perfect, but neither is the iPOD. Also, I have become fed up seeing iPODs everywhere. In a little while, even dogs will use them....

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

I paid a fortune for the player...

Not to mention the highly inflated price of the CDs we buy to rip onto the players:smileysad: