Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-RX203 Bios update

Joris
Visitor

PCV-RX203 Bios update

Is there a BIOS update available for the PCV-RX203? I couldn't find it anywhere on the VAIO website.

I'm looking for a BIOS update because I recently bought a freecom USB harddisk. I wanted to put an operating system on one of the partitions of my USB harddisk, so I could boot from it.

The BIOS only supports booting from USB zip drives or USB FDD and neither work for my USB harddisk. Is there a newer bios available or should I give up the dream of using the USB harddisk this way?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah that should work.
Then you don't need the live CD

Joris
Visitor

The USB harddisk is quite small and fits into my pocket. I wanted to take as little with me as possible and still have a complete system with me, with which I could image computers, repair crashed systems or just plain simple work within my own work environment.

Because I wanted to store images of computers, I needed a large harddisk. I hoped that since I had such a large harddisk I could use it as emergency boot disk too. Maybe it's just a luxery problem... just wanted to make it work...

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I have got an idea.

Have you heard of Acronis True Image? This software is very good because you can boot your computer from the boot CD, and then reinstall images from inside the CD itself, even if no OS is on the affected PC.

The software only cost me about £20 and I use this with a Crossfire 160GB USB2 External HDD, which works a treat. The CD provides a USB2, Firewire and PCMCIA driver suite (it uses Linux) for hardware.