Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-W2 DVD RW Drive

rauno
Visitor

PCV-W2 DVD RW Drive

HELLO!
My computer is a PCV- W2 I have started to crash on a regular basis. My DVD drive does not appear to recognise when a disk is inserted, as the wizard no longer opens, when I then go to MY COMPUTER devices with removable storage DVD-RW drive (F:) the icon does not change to the disc inserted icon. If any attempt is made to open the drive (double click) or even just right click the program does not respond. On using the task manager to end the program the TASK BAR is also removed leaving me no alternative but to switch off at the wall, when the error report was sent to Microsoft the return link which opened my browser could not be accessed because the browser also freezes. I NEED HELP ANY IDEARS OUT THERE.:smileycry:

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rauno,

There are several possible causes of this problem but the obvious two are; either a faulty optical drive/corrupt drivers or malware on your system.

Have you scanned for viruses/spyware/malware recently?

Also you could try uninstalling the drive (in Device Manager), re-boot and let Windows re-install the drivers.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rauno
Visitor

THANKS FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY!
I am running Panda Platinum 2006 and it shows system as clear, I also often run Spy Bot Search and Destroy. Yesterday evening I ran Registry Mechanic which found 180 problems, and repaired the same, this did not solve my DVD DRIVE PROBLEM, but when I tried to close down my computer down the windows is closing down stayed on until I got sick and used the wall socket again.
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT! :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have you tried uninstalling the drive? Also, can you think of any hardware/software that you have installed that may have caused this problem?

Have a look in Event Viewer (Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer) for any Error messages under Application, Security and System. Double click on any error messages for further details.

You could always try a system restore to a date prior to this problem...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rauno
Visitor

Hi! Rich I will try that today What follows is the latest it might help THANKS!

Uninstalled the drivers and let windows install new drivers, NO DIFERENCE, when I uninstalled the drivers my computer Restarted OK. When I try to shutdown my computer the Sony? (grey in colour) dialogue box pops up DrgToDsc program closing, the blue scroll bar scrolls across then I get the message that the program is not responding. As I have stated if I use the task manager to close the program down I loose my task bar. Should the drag to disc program be running? I will try to Hibernate the computer tonight instead of using the wall socket.
Regards Ron. :wink:

Just to advise 09 20 GMT I had to switch off at the socket the windows is hibernating page stayed on all night and this morning Windows automatic update is frozen.
Ron.
FLECTI NON FRANGI

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Ron,

Drag to Disk is part of Roxio Easy CD Creator. Depending on which versions you have it may be possible to disable this option or carry out a repair.

In Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, scroll down to Roxio and click ‘Change’ and then look for the relevant option.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rauno
Visitor

Hi Rich!
About two months ago I installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 8. I noticed tonight that Roxio would Read and burn a disc,( DVD-RW drive OK), yesterday I took your advice and uninstalled the driver, and let windows install a new one. Tonight after noticing the disc was OK I have Uninstalled Roxio, run registry mechanic, restart. The wizard notes when a disc is inserted, MY COMPUTER shows the disc inserted, but when I right click to play I get a dialogue box saying: This file does not have a program associated with performing this action, Create an association in the folders option control panel.
That is where I am stuck ( how do I do that?) Will I have to reinstall the Sony drivers?
I AM NEARLY THERE Ron. :slight_smile:

Desipere in loco

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I would recommend that you first make sure that all remnants of Roxio are removed from your system. Have a look at this link. Read the warnings and take heed!

Then, to create an association right click the relevant file and select “open with”, browse to your preferred player, eg Windows Media Player, and then check the box “Always use this program…”. This should then create an association with whatever file you are trying to play/access.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rauno
Visitor

Hi! Rich Just to say THANK YOU for your help. :clap: and I hope you have A SONY SUMMER

Regards Ron. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Your'e welcome Ron:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat