Join now - be part of our community!

Performance problem in games VGN-A617s

ch33tor
Visitor

Performance problem in games VGN-A617s

hello

When I play any game (new or old: Red Alert2, quake4, doom3, ...) at start I have around 80 fps (minimum grapric details, 640x480). But after a while speed fall to 1-9 fps(I use Fraps).
After 2-3 minutes speed increase to 80 fps and than again fall, this repeat till I play.

I bought laptop in April and at start I games run smoothly at full details and 1440x900. Problem appear about 3 months ago.

What is the problem?

1gb RAM
Radeon x700 128 + 128mb
Pentium M 2,0 ghz

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Do you have any applications running in the background? Try disabling antivirus apps etc. before running the game.

ch33tor
Visitor

I already do so.
it was still the same!:smileycry: :cry: :cry:

robpaxton
Explorer

Are you getting a lot of hard disk activity when the game slows down?

ch33tor
Visitor

how do you mean? Example

robpaxton
Explorer

Does the hard disk activity light stay switched on or flash a lot more than normal when the game slows?

ch33tor
Visitor

the hard disk activity light flash the same as when game runs normally

robpaxton
Explorer

OK, I think we need to find out what application is hogging the CPU when the game slows. Try pressing Ctrl - Shift - Esc when the game slows and then click the Processes tab to see which process is using the most CPU time. It might be difficult to do this during a game though :slight_frown:

Another option would be to run something like the free trial of tuneup utilities to try and clearout any problems - this is a bit of a sledgehammer approach but it may solve your problem . . . .

Tuneup utilities link

ch33tor
Visitor

game use 75% of CPU, next is system idle process with 20%.

I use system utility to clean up system but nothing is better

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It may also be worth checking out the CPU temperature, just in case your notebook is overheating; causing passive cooling to kick in, thus lowering the CPU speed…

Try MobileMeter

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat