Join now - be part of our community!

Performance problem in games VGN-A617s

ch33tor
Visitor

Performance problem in games VGN-A617s

hello

When I play any game (new or old: Red Alert2, quake4, doom3, ...) at start I have around 80 fps (minimum grapric details, 640x480). But after a while speed fall to 1-9 fps(I use Fraps).
After 2-3 minutes speed increase to 80 fps and than again fall, this repeat till I play.

I bought laptop in April and at start I games run smoothly at full details and 1440x900. Problem appear about 3 months ago.

What is the problem?

1gb RAM
Radeon x700 128 + 128mb
Pentium M 2,0 ghz

23 REPLIES 23
ch33tor
Visitor

CPU temperature when playing is 95°C, in windows is 84°C

HDD temperature is 40°C

With alt+tab I left the game when it was slowing down and the CPU speed was 566 Mhz :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: (Pentium M 2.00 Ghz)

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Rich has spotted your problem, passive cooling (slowing the CPU speed) is cutting in at 95C. Your computer is running hot even at 84C - check to see that your cooling fan is running, clean, and that you aren't blocking any air vents.

kee-lo_

Wow be very careful while handling it at that heat!

ch33tor
Visitor

How do I check if cooling fan is runing? Do I need to open laptop?

robpaxton
Explorer

You should be able to feel the fan blowing warm air out of the vent.

ch33tor
Visitor

I feel the hot air coming out of the vent, but very slowly

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Buy a can of compressed air (known as an air duster) from your local PC shop and, following the instructions, give the air vents a clean – you will then hopefully see a huge reduction in CPU temperature…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ch33tor
Visitor

I bought air duster and clean the air vents. There is no change, the temperatures are still the same.

I contact e-support from sony and I am waiting for reply.

The bigest problem is that in our country we don't have official sony vaio service (I bought it in Germany). And I don't know where to send it for warranty repair.

kee-lo_

Hmm that could be a problem, you're not alone either, I've seen another guy from Slovenia with the same issue

ch33tor
Visitor

I contact Sony e-support

Does anyone know how long does it take them to answer?