Join now - be part of our community!

please how to install a new 500 HGST (hitachi) hard drive step by step if pos

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jamdown2010
Explorer

please how to install a new 500 HGST (hitachi) hard drive step by step if pos

Hello users hope someone can help here please.

After a very slow laptop and errors detected on current Hitachi 500g, I purchased another. (500sata HGST)

I am clueless how to go about installing it, formatting etc.

My laptop a Sony VAIO vpcee3zoe with win7 did not come with a installation disk, it has a section on the HD with the installation, i believe this is activated by pressing ASIST button. i have copied the recovery data on 3 CDs.

and also have a current backup and iso on  external drive.

So my question really is, whats the right way to go about this.

I have plugged new drive in a caddy and its detected in device manger, for what its worth I note my current as -

Hitachi HTS545050B9SA00 sata disk device.

New drive -HGST HTS5450A7E380 usb device..

But the new drive is not evident in my computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bernard,

Assuming that you are referring to the recovery partition you will find this at the start of disk 0 – Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management. There is no drive letter allocated to this partition so you cannot explore the contents. I guess that if you were to apply a drive letter to the partition using DISKPART then you could possibly view the contents. However Sony store the data in such a format that you cannot access it. This was not the case a few years ago when it was stored in a .PAC format and an application (kcap) was widely available that would decompile.  Applying a logical volume to the drive may render it useless – but no experience of this so can't recommend/advise....

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jamdown2010,

Installation to/running from an external USB drive is not supported by the Windows installer. I believe there are workarounds but I have no experience of these.

In order for your created recovery media to work you need to install a new drive internally and then boot from disk 1 of the recovery media set – then follow on screen instructions. Are you sure that you created Recovery Media as 3 CD’s seems a very small capacity for a modern machine – I would expect 5/6 DVD’s minimum.

There is a complication here as I believe that the original HTS545050B9SA00 drive has 512 bytes per sector whereas the HGST HTS5450A7E380 is an Advanced Format (AF) drive having 4096 bytes per sector. If I am correct then the recovery media will not work as it will require the same bytes per sector as the original drive.

You have the option of purchasing and installing a retail copy of windows (which will be AF aware) and then downloading and installing all Sony drivers and utilities from the support site – original bundled software is not available for download. Alternatively change the drive for one that has 512 Bytes per sector and install it internally – your created recovery media should then work.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamdown2010
Explorer

Hi rich 912

Thanks for reply

First good result, after fitting new HGST drive my attempt with the 3 disks failed, then tried an image disk previously created  from my toshiba external (toshibe backup program) also failed, 

Anyway on being prompted plugged in the external and whatever mode I was in then found the right bit and wallah all worked. what not sure about, was recovery partition created on Hgst as per original drive.

This success made me want to have my cake and eat it.

Fitted original drive which attempted startup recovery > tried again failed> tried created image, 3 recovery disc, press Assist> all failed.

Tried to boot in safe mode failed black screen with safe mode text above below screen.

After many attempts of startuo repairs> disc corrupt >repair action file sys repair> successfully.

Restart blue screen microsoft screen saver  no desktop programs or taskbar icons. press assist>nothing.

switched off off switch started again> background program ran> result this time.

"Windows cannot repair computer automatically, sending more info can help microsoft create solutions."

problem name startup repair offline

problem event 01-6.1.7600.16385

02- ditto

o3- unknown

04 - 662

05 - auto fail over

06 - 1

07 - bad batch

os version - 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

locate id-2056

No idea what all above all about an wouldn't be surprised if you don't know either, to me it meant remove the bloody thing you have spent all day trying to make it work, new disk working, sling it into the tall grass.

note to self CALM DOWN deah

But after switching off I for some reason switch on (i dont know why) AND THIS TIME EVERYTHING CAME UP.

beyond me to figure it out, is it faulty drive as errors as indicated in checkdidk previous tests, or virus, I simply dont know. 

This is the worst problem i have had, but on 2 occasions previously I have switch off for the day only to find on switch start up taking sometimes a hour or more, various kaspersky and other checks found nothing.

Do you know if its possible to get a disk from Sony for this computer? this partition thing I think is flawed,

previous laptop came with disc, on any failure I could buy any disc even if larger capacity or different make and it always worked a treat.

Sorry to go on at this length, any insight/observations would be welcome.

phew

jamdown

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jamdown2010,

You are correct that I have no idea what the error codes mean but it seems evident that the original drive is beyond recovery.

Yes you can purchase a set of recovery media from Sony but, as per my post above, the recovery media will only work if the replacement drive has the same sector size as the original and as far as I can tell it doesn’t. To order a set of recovery media you will need to contact support on 0905 0310006 (Fixed: 0.35£/min). Support will ask for your model number and serial number.

On previous recoveries on different models using supplied recovery media I assume that the hard drive was not changed from 512 bytes per sector to 4096 as I’m sure that you would have faced the same problem. Larger capacity and different make is not usually an issue but different sector size is.

As previously stated a retail copy of Windows will be AF aware and should work with the new drive if installed internally. All drivers and utilities are available to download from the Sony support site. The only thing missing will be the bundled software that came pre-installed with your system

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamdown2010
Explorer

Hello again rich912

Thanks for you knowledgeable insight, I am learning although I have had to google new terms as "512 bytes per sector to 4096

My uneducated understanding of that is (and I wasn’t aware of the importance of the above) if new drives were improved to 4096 that new spec would be variable (from -to.> upto) so older installs would be accommodated.

"But it seems evident that the original drive is beyond recovery"

this to me is very strange, as in my previous post I assumed after all the tests and whizzes that went on, when I switched on after all that, and without going trough all the default fixes, the system looks to have recovered,    and I am using it now with this reply.

Of course I am not sure if after I switch off and back on I won’t be where I was before.

"On previous recoveries on different models using supplied recovery media I assume that the hard drive was not changed from 512 bytes per sector to 4096 as I’m sure that you would have faced the same problem. Larger capacity and different make is not usually an issue but different sector size is"

Ok where I am now is a much better place BUT although I have bought a new disc (before I was 512 bytes aware) which somehow is working in spite of the 512 bytes issue. So I now have two drives (the new one I hope hasn’t copied the problems when I  burned the image) I would still like to ebay me one with the correct 512 bytes per sector.

Correct me if wrong, did you imply that it needn’t have to be a hitachi brand as original, as long as it was 512 bytes per sector? Looking at the label on the new buy I can’t see anything about bytes per sector, and I don’t think it’s written on the original one either which is strange as it’s important.

What is "AF aware” and also as per below     “512 emulation?”

Below is spec of Hitachi I hope ticks the boxes, perhaps you could hint if this will do it

Thanks again you may not set out to educate, but I have learned

Product Identifiers Brand Hitachi Model Travelstar Z5K500 HTS545050A7E380

Advanced format, industry standard 4K

Sector size

512 byte emulation

Self- encrypting models for data security

MAIN SPEC

General

Capacity -  500gb 2.5

Interface -  Serial ATA – 300

Buffer Size - 8 mb

Bytes per Sector – 512

Features - Load/unload technology, TrueTrack servo technology

bernard

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bernard,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The problem with AF drives is with the Sony recovery media not a burnt image. Below is a link from a Dell Blog that explains AF Aware and 512 emulation.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2011/05/02/are-you-ready-for-advanced-f...

The Travelstar Z5K500 HTS545050A7E380 is an Advanced format drive with 512 byte emulation as most AF drives are at present. There will be no problem installing a modern OS on this drive and it seems that your burnt image will be the same but the Sony recovery media will not install. You are correct that a replacement drive doesn’t need to be of the same manufacture as long as it has the same form factor.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamdown2010
Explorer

Hello rich912

No probs.

All is now as clear as an irish running mountain river, thanks for the link. 

I  don't think as long as i can install the backup image to a advanced format drive the little fact that i haven't got a partition that i can recover from is much of a problem, as long as i have got the win 7 and my files are not lost.

so with that considered i now move on.

One last thing on this pre av format original disk that is now working (how long........well ....shrug shoulders), what is the way of seeing the partition and its contents.......simple step> novice frendly way if pos.

If not well (as confucious say).

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

bernard

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bernard,

Assuming that you are referring to the recovery partition you will find this at the start of disk 0 – Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management. There is no drive letter allocated to this partition so you cannot explore the contents. I guess that if you were to apply a drive letter to the partition using DISKPART then you could possibly view the contents. However Sony store the data in such a format that you cannot access it. This was not the case a few years ago when it was stored in a .PAC format and an application (kcap) was widely available that would decompile.  Applying a logical volume to the drive may render it useless – but no experience of this so can't recommend/advise....

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat