Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with docking station

emitrom
Visitor

Problem with docking station

Hi,

I have just got hold of a docking station VGP-PRFE1 to use with my AR11S.

And unless I am missing something I think its broken! :slight_frown:

In theory I should just be able to plug in the power to the docking station then plug the laptop into the DS yes? There was no driver disk so I assume everything is standard?

The funny part is that Vista found a new USB hub and installed drivers for that but the in-use light has never come on and I am not getting any power from the DS to the laptop.

As well as no in-use light I don't get anything showing on Vista that acknowledges the DS has been attached. Which I think is a bad sign in itself! :cry: I was expecting some kind of docking icon to allow me to 'undock'. Or do I need drivers for Vista??

Maybe I am assuming too much that power comes through the DS to the laptop?

Anybody else had a problem with it or am I missing something? :thinking:

Thanks,

David.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi David

Here is a link to the PREF1 manual: PREF1 Manual

Doesn't sound good.. :slight_frown:

Are you using the notebook power supply or the one supplied with the docking station to power your docking station.?

emitrom
Visitor

Hi David

Here is a link to the PREF1 manual: PREF1 Manual

Doesn't sound good.. :slight_frown:

Are you using the notebook power supply or the one supplied with the docking station to power your docking station.?

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for the link its as useless ( the document itself ) as the one I have!

No it doesn't sound good does it?

I am using the power supply that came with the docking station which works fine with my laptop so at least that bit works!

I would have thought that the light comes on as soon as you plug it in maybe only when you use one of the ports??

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I would have thought that the light comes on as soon as you plug it in 

Hi emitron,

I would agree with you, I have a docking station with one of my older Vaio's and when the power lead is connected and switched on a AC power light glows..