Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with Processes!!

Ruud10
Visitor

Problem with Processes!!

Hi all,

I am having trouble with my Vaio. When i first load up windows the machine starts to run slow. When i click onto task manager I find that it is running lots of processes. Any advice onto how I go about making a fix

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Have you checked your system for Spyware and Viruses? At the standard configuration, approx 40 processes could be normal.

Ruud10
Visitor

yep checked for virus and spyware, however if anyone can reccomend free spyware download, i would be very grateful.

cheers

Pandamator
Visitor

Free ANTI -Spyware downloads:
go to www.lavasoft.com and download ad aware personal
then i guess spywareblaster and spybot s&d are pretty good (look at donload.com).
Microsoft also offers a tool at their page so you might want to try this...

seb21__
Visitor

Yep, the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta seems to be a really scanner. I use it too. But I use Spybot S&D also.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

As Seb said, a number of processes is normal, for example I have in excess of 50 running at present but the System Idle process is still over 85%. Have a look for any process that is using a large amount of the CPU.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
TygerTyger
Visitor

Actually by pure coincidence my mum mentioned this the other day. When her computer started and the logon screen appeared, it kept saying '37 processes running' or something like that, even from a fresh boot. As far as I know, it's not supposed to do that unless some proper programs are running?

Is this what you mean, original poster?

seb21__
Visitor

Yes. And programs like Virus scanners, the Microsoft AntSpyware, WLAN drivers, Personal Firewalls are processe which run in the background.

If you start your Computer in the safe-mode, then Windows starts only with the importants drivers. Less than 12-14 processes are not impossible.

And if you compare SP1 with SP2, then you can see that after SP2 Windows needs much more resources as before.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

My RA104 never really goes over 3% CPU usage unless I rip MP3, and then it's 50%, but if I encode a DVD, the HT kicks in and 100% CPU usage.

Then you hear my fans kick up a notch

seb21__
Visitor

LOL, same here.