Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with OS to Laptop

profile.country.SE.title
Cozzan
New

Problems with OS to Laptop

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB2S1E/BQ EC1 with a crashed harddrive. I swapped the harddrive for a new SSD and i recently wanted to do a scrubbing in the computer and reinstall Windows OS...

Since the original harddrive is toast i decided to download an ISO matching my OS like you normaly would do...

When i input my Cd-key it tells me its bound to a file on the toast harddrive... Thats wierd... Thats not how OEM works...

So i contact Sony support and the woman helping me or not helping but atleast replying to my emails tells me tough luck the warranty is out, fix and pay for it yourself.

This is completely outrageous in my point... i would accept that would it be that i was asking for a new harddrive WHICH i'm not. I thought hardware was warranty and software was not. i mean if i buy Windows from Microsoft and one day it for some reason stopped working they would tell me to [edited by moderator to remove profanity] NO they would guide my thrue how to reinstall it or/and send me an ISO file to do so. aslong as i have a valid CD-key WHICH i DO.

All i want is the elusive file they have planted in the harddrive that the OS is locked to. I have the Cd-key and i have the computer... Should not be a problem but apparently it is... This has gotten me to lose all trust in Sony and its products and if this is how they do their OS on their computers i will never buy a product from Sony again. Why risk it when ALL the other companys dont have this Wierd messed up system?  Is it just the Tech support woman saying stuff so she does not have to work and actually help me or is this actually how you implement your OS into your computers? a Onetime file and when thats gone so is your OS regardless if you have a Cd-key or not?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Cozzan, 

Welcome to the community. Sorry to read about your faulty Vaio. I have escalated your comment and someone will update the thread here. 

Thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

For Microsoft OS up to Windows 7 the Product Key on the bottom of the Vaio is not a valid Microsoft activation key and cannot be used to activate a retail copy of Windows. It is a key exclusively for the Sony OEM operating system and can only be used to claim support from Microsoft. The Sony OS does not need activation - it activated automatically as it can only be installed from Recovery CDs or from the Recovery Partition on the hard drive. Legally, Microsoft consider that you have bought a Sony OS and this is the only legitimate form of the OS to which you own a Product Key.

Ideally, you should have made a set of Recovery Discs when you first bought the Vaio which would enable you to reinstall the OS on a new drive.

However, I would think it very likely that if you phone the Microsoft Activation Line helpdesk and explain your situation, the Microsoft adviror will probably give you a valid activation code.for a retail version of the OS.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Cozzan, 

Please could you let us know your case ID from your interactions with Sony Support and also your 15-digit serial  of your VAIO?

Thanks, 

Pascale

profile.country.SE.title
Cozzan
New

Sony Support Email 16445399 [case:16445399]

S/N 27528363 5001990

Service TAG C605KUBX

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Thank you. I have passed these details on and someone will update the thread further, once we have more info to share. 

Thanks, 

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Cozzan,

I've had some info back for you.

After checking your case with Sony support in Sweden, the best solution is for you to refer this to a local service centre to check if they can fit a hard drive the same as the one that was built-in so it would have the hidden partition for you to use the recovery media disks. However, they advise that since it's a 2010 model the service centre may not have the needed parts.

Best wishes,

EdwinaU