Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with startup and using webcam

Problems with startup and using webcam

Hi all,

my vaio was taking 15 minutes to boot up and I was also have problems using my webcam (Logitech) and Skype. A friend disabled a lot of the 'startup' and 'services' he thought I might not need but he wasn't sure he was turning off the right things. However, the webcam worked brilliantly and my family said I no longer sounded like a dalek or was speaking out of synch. Ha ha.

As I was concerned that some 'services and startup' may have been turned off inadvertently, I enabled them again and took it to a local computer shop. They advised more RAM was needed (currently had 512Mb) so I put on another 1Gig. It boots up quicker now but I am still having major problems with my webcam.

I'd appreciate any advice as I would like to keep in touch with my family (especially my Mum who is 81 and putting me to shame - hers works ok!!)

I have vaio notebook VGN-FS415B

2 REPLIES 2

I hadn't had any responses to this post so contacted e-support. they advised me to put 'start up' into default settings and when I checked it out, the only active link was 'ctfmon'. All other start up had been disabled. It made no difference to the problems I am having with the webcam. Apparently, my voice is dragging and still out of synch with the video. (I use Skype and only allow family access to my contacts)

Since then, they have advised me to do a recovery. However, I have a lot of emails I would like to save but don't know how to back them up. I have backed up everything else.

Yesterday, a strange thing happened with my screensaver - a photo of my grandchildren. It has completely disappeared! I am used to changing this as and when I want to and it is not on the file. ?????

Can anyone help me please?

V

Well, it looks like no-one has been able to help me!
I finally resolved the issue of the webcam myself and also had another 1GB RAM put in. It boots up in about 4 minutes now so my next task is to find out how to improve performance. Looks like I may be back asking different questions! Aghh!