Join now - be part of our community!

RECOVER USED SPACE

PHOTOSHOPKID
Visitor

RECOVER USED SPACE

Can I recover the used space (recovery partition) without reinstalling Windows? Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Can I recover the used space (recovery partition) without reinstalling Windows? Thanks

Hi Photoshop Kid,

If you use follow the Sony guide for deleting the HDDR recovery partition then no you will have to reinstall your system. (see custom options for further information.

PHOTOSHOPKID
Visitor

Darn, I just wanted to recover this wasted space without doing a reinstall of Windows, I have made 3 recovery dvds, so this is now a waste of space on my hard drive

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Darn, I just wanted to recover this wasted space without doing a reinstall of Windows, I have made 3 recovery dvds, so this is now a waste of space on my hard drive

You may be able to use something like Partition Magic (trial) ensure you back-up vital software first in case of problems.

PHOTOSHOPKID
Visitor

Thanks for the info, but I thought if I used Partition magic to do the job that it would cause the laptop to fail because some how the Vaio operating files are some how linked to the files on the extra partition

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Using Partition Magic has been known to be problematic at times and I am sure that is why Thalamus suggested backing up your data before going down this route.

However, none of you operating programs or system is linked to the recovery partition as such. The HDDR is only there to a) create restore disks or b) recover your system.

If you do intend to delete this partition I would suggest that you create more than one copy of the recovery media and make sure that they function before proceeding.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
PHOTOSHOPKID
Visitor

Thanks Rich............

sweetCoffee
Visitor

what you could do is the following

make a backup with norton ghost (on hard disk or DVD)
remove the partitions you don't want them to be there
repartition as you like
put in the norton ghost recovery disk and select the correct destination for you backup

that's the way I did it, and it works

Gerrie