Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery not working. Please help!

profile.country.GB.title
PJ_LAVENDER
Explorer

Recovery not working. Please help!

Hi, I have a Sony Vairo- SVE151J13M which after downloading something it has caused several problems that I cannot uninstall or delete. I have tried entering the restore by pressing repeatedly on F8, F10, F12 and even F2 for the BIOS but nothing works, it just ignores me leaving me irritated and back looking at the Windows login screen. If anyone has occurred such problems then do kindly contact me at your earliest convenience please.

Kind regards..... Phil

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Phil,

Have you tried closing the Vaio down and then pressing the ‘ASSIST’ key?

You will then be given a number of options on screen.

If you still have a Recovery Partition,  a full Recovery will be one of the options. Remember that a full recovery will put the Vaio back to factory settings and you will lose all added programs and data.

Rescue mode - assist button.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Phil

Before employing the ‘nuclear option’ of a full recovery, it may be worth choosing ‘Safe Mode’ and try to fix the problem. (F8 during Boot -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> System Restore). Avoid the 'Refresh' and 'Reset'  options as this deletes settings and data.

You should try to run a full scan for both viruses and malware to see if the problem can be identified and fixed.

Without knowing what you have installed it is difficult to suggest anything more specific.

profile.country.GB.title
PJ_LAVENDER
Explorer

Hi,Apologies for the delay in responding, in reply to my Sony Vairo laptop issue pressing "Assist", or pressing "Vairo", does nothing. I have tried the new actions pressing them once & also repeatedly upon seeing the boot screen VAIRO appear but still nothing. I also tried booting into the BIOS F2, again nothing and pressing F8, F10 & F12 again does nothing other than to irritate me sending me back to the Windows login screen.Should I be pressing the fuction key with another key at the same time like the ALT or FN, or CTRL?Look forward to receiving your next response at your earliest convenience please.....Kind regards with thanks PhilSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
profile.country.GB.title
PJ_LAVENDER
Explorer

Hi,I tried "Safe Mode", which I managed to clean up a majority of the problems but now instead of my browser randomly popping up screen after screen I can no longer access the web at all.I have tried uninstalling the drivers via Device Manager, I also turned my mobile phone HotSpot on to access the web on my laptop through it but still it won't open any pages. Both directly & indirectly the laptop states it connected to my router/Phone Hotspot but all I get is the message below:-Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource is not responding.I know it can't be the webpages as I can access them on my phone using the same network router that my laptop is on. My laptop is now according to Bitdefender & Malwarebytes  is decease free of any malware, virues, etc, etc.Do you have any further suggestions please.....????Kind regards with thanks Phil Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think that, since Windows 8, the function keys only work in conjunction with the Vaio Care Rescue Screen, opened with the ASSIST button when the Vaio is fully shut down.. It is no longer possible to just tap the key with newer BIOS  versions.

What version of Windows do you use?

It sounds like you may have uninstalled the Network of WiFi Driver. Have a look in Device Manager to see if there are any warnings that a driver is not installed.

profile.country.GB.title
PJ_LAVENDER
Explorer

Unfortunately yes, I have tried pressing the ASSIST KEY repeatedly & keeping my finger on it but like the F8, F10, F12 & even F2 key it does nothing but to bypass all that I try back to Windows

profile.country.GB.title
PJ_LAVENDER
Explorer

I have now successfully removed the malware using Malwarebytes and Bitdefender but now I have lost the ability to get online despite the fact it states it's connected. Upon trying a PING TEST, all 4 packets come back as disconnected. I have tried uninstalling the drivers via Device Manager then refreshing it to reload the drivers which it does but sadly I am still not able to get online.

profile.country.GB.title
PJ_LAVENDER
Explorer

Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Professional which I have uninstalled the  network drivers via Device Manager then hit refresh which reinstalled everything again but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. It states it's connected but I can't get online & sending a PING TEST comes back as 4 packets not connected.