Join now - be part of our community!

Reduced CPU due to power manger?

odintsaq
Visitor

Reduced CPU due to power manger?

Hello world
I've got (obviously) a VAIO laptop and i have all the updates both of sony and microsoft for winxp home.
The problem is that the ventilator doesn´t see to work that hard anymore , even when i'm not using the battery. It's as if like it's stuck there saving me energy i don't want to save.
This has a side effect (besides the good thing that there is no noise). My CPU and Bus speed are reduced (depending on the temperature).
What i wanted to ask (in order to save myself from yet another format) is if anyone has a clue on how to program the sony power manager. I´ve seen all the ini files and stuff like that but i don't have a clue and neither much time to understand how it is written.
I have a small experience with some programming languages, so i'll just need the rough lines to figure out the rest.
Thanks a lot to everyone

Thanasis

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Thanasis and welcome.

If you let us know what model Vaio you have, I'm sure someone here can help. There is usually a simple setting to turn off the Power Saving to your processor but it is different for each model.

:thinking:

odintsaq
Visitor

Damn, i forgot to tell it the first time
Sorry then boys.
My VAIO is a FS315S.
And more than setting off power saving i'd like to programm all the functions of the power manager (CPU speed, fan speed, etc), because right m¡now through the control panel i only get the CPU speed and the LCD brightness.

Thanks a lot once more

Th.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Thanasis,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

I'm sure the only options available in Vaio power management for the FS series are LCD brightness levels 1 - 9 and No Change and for CPU control Adaptive, Performance or Battery life..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Thanasis,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

I'm sure the only options available in Vaio power management for the FS series are LCD brightness levels 1 - 9 and No Change and for CPU control Adaptive, Performance or Battery life..

odintsaq
Visitor

Thanks for the info, even though i'm quite dissapointed to hear them.
My fan still doesn't blow harder when the CPU temperature is rising, even after unistalling and installing every sony utility associated with this. Perhaps it's a problem with the windows then and their updates.
Poor me, I see another format coming soon. 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi odintsaq,

Just out of interest what is the normal running temperature of your vaio..?

If your unsure, mobilemeter is a handy application to use.. :slight_smile:

odintsaq
Visitor

Hey Thalamus,
Sorry it took me so long to reply.
Now that the laptop os running for about 30 hours in a row, the temperature is 102º C, and it's running at 1GHZ, instead of 1,86GHz. (With mobile meter)

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi odintsaq,

102º C is far to high, If I'm correct passive cooling cuts in at around 95º C and the critical temperature is 105º C...

Passive cooling is why you have noticed reduced CPU speed etc..

You need to first try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop).

If you do not notice any improvement then your vaio may need to be disassembled in order to deep clean the fan and cooling vents. :slight_frown:

odintsaq
Visitor

Thanks for the tip, i was thinking doing the same thing as well, but after doing the format.
Will try it and tell you what happens.