Join now - be part of our community!

registration fix need

profile.country.GB.title
CliveJT
New

registration fix need

I have done a factory reset on my model VPCM13M1E laptop/notebook but I can't register it because the model nmumber is not recognised on Sony uk's registration site.  Without registration it won't do updates.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't think you need to be registered with Sony to receive updates and all Microsoft updates should still be automatically available for Windows 7.

You can manually download and install updates from the Sony Support Page for your model here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vpc-series/vpcm13m1e?downloads-num=24

However, Sony only supported up to Windows 7 on this model - there are no updates since December 2014 but you may want to try downloading the latest Vaio Update and Vaio Care updates to see f this helps.

Was your Vaio not registered originally? If so, that registration will not have changed. If it was never registered and you would like this, I think you will have to telephone Sony Support as the laptop is now getting old and may not still be on the database. Sony only use the registration process to manage legal ownership and Warranty claims - of course all warranties on this model will have ended many years ago.

If you are still having difficulties, please let us know how you reset the Vaio (Recovery Discs, Recovery Partition, Clean Install) and which updates you are looking for.

profile.country.GB.title
CliveJT
New

Many thanks Blencogo for your quick reply.

Following your advice I have successfully downloaded Windows 7 SP1 from cnet and it is now installed.

I am currently attempting to download the Vaio Care update package.

I guess I would have registered the netbook in Aug 2010 when I bought it from Amazon uk.

Over time it has become very slow so I decided to dump everything and do factory reset.  That was difficult as it did not respond well to my backup image disks (asking for me to load drivers from a long list of files without telling me what I should be looking for), but I eventually aborted that route and managed to run the reset through VaioCare.

I then attempted to instal Python but that would not work without the Windows 7 SP1 package - which is where I came across the problem that SP1 would not instal without running Windows updates - and that would not run without registration of the netbook.  At this point I resorted to this Sony Community.

So now all is looking good................so far!

Thanks again

CJT