Join now - be part of our community!

Reinstall OS

SOLVED
profile.country.cs_CZ.title
NanikCZ
Visitor

Reinstall OS

Good morning :-)!

I want to reinstall OS (MS Windows 7) on my notebook VAIO VPCYB2M1E/S. Do I need special installation DVD for VAIO notebooks or not? And if yes, how can I get it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Do you want to reinstall the original OS that came with your Vaio or do you want to install a different retail version?

If you want to reinstall the original OS then you can do this from a hidden Recovery Partition on your hard drive.

When you start your Vaio, tap F10 repeatedly when you see the first Vaio Logo screen and the recovery software will start.  Back up all your data because the drive will be formatted and the original software installed - everything else will be deleted.

You can download the Recovery guide from the support pages for your model.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you want to install a retail version of Windows, you will lose all your data, programs and preinstalled software.

You can download most of the drivers and utility programs from the support website for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCYB2M1E_S

However, you will lose all the preinstalled software which cannot be downloaded.

I would make a set of Recovery DVDs anyway using an external DVD-RW drive - just in case!  You can download the recovery guide from here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/RecoTS/2011Q2_TRG_EN.pdf

:wink:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Do you want to reinstall the original OS that came with your Vaio or do you want to install a different retail version?

If you want to reinstall the original OS then you can do this from a hidden Recovery Partition on your hard drive.

When you start your Vaio, tap F10 repeatedly when you see the first Vaio Logo screen and the recovery software will start.  Back up all your data because the drive will be formatted and the original software installed - everything else will be deleted.

You can download the Recovery guide from the support pages for your model.

:thinking:

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
NanikCZ
Visitor

Thanks for your answer :-). I try reinstall OS from Recovery Partition, but I have still problem with localization of some programs (this is the main reason for reinstall).

I want to install retail version of OS now. Do I lost data from Recovery Partition, when I install the retail version?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you want to install a retail version of Windows, you will lose all your data, programs and preinstalled software.

You can download most of the drivers and utility programs from the support website for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCYB2M1E_S

However, you will lose all the preinstalled software which cannot be downloaded.

I would make a set of Recovery DVDs anyway using an external DVD-RW drive - just in case!  You can download the recovery guide from here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/RecoTS/2011Q2_TRG_EN.pdf

:wink: