Join now - be part of our community!

Replacement DVD±RW Drive

Sebby
Visitor

Replacement DVD±RW Drive

I have just received my VAIO FS215S back from repair as the optical drive was faulty.

Originally, it had a Sony DW-D56A optical drive. Having received it back, I can confirm that it now has a Matshita UJ-831Da. I can't find much information about this drive, so I can't confirm its specifications.

So, my question is: have I been short-changed? How does this Matshita drive compare? If it's not the same or better, I need to get straight on to Sony.

Many thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sebby and welcome to the Club Vaio Forum.

I am tempted to let Zina answer this post - she is the originator of the DW-D56A Broken DVD Club!

If you look at the post below about DW-D56A drives you will probably consider yourself fortunate to have been given any other drive! It has been very unreliable - some people have had several replacements.

A big thank you to Zina - her drive has been replaced so often, she has probably exhausted the world supply of DW-D56A drives (hopefully!).

Not sure about the UJ-831Da - but I doubt it can be any worse than the DW-D56A!

:cry:

Sebby
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

Thank you for your reply - it's almost comforting to know that I'm not alone! So I guess I am lucky in some ways that they've fitted a Matshita drive.

As I say, though, I feel a little short-changed as it's from the FS115Z. Also, I won't be able to get firmware updates through VAIO Update as only updates for the FS215S show, and the Matshita optical drive that I've been given is not a standard part.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sebby,

I'd take that up with Vaio-Link Support - this drive is used in other Vaios - the S2XP I think? They must make any updates available.

There were problems with some of the earlier Matshita drives - hopefully yours will be OK but don't try using any DVD Region Free software. It has been designed to prevent regional software changes.

:smileyshhh:

Sebby
Visitor

Thanks for the information.

I took it up with VAIO Link immediately - not because there's any problems as such, but I don't think they've thought this replacement out.

I am waiting for a call back tomorrow, and I shall see what they say.

carthorian
Visitor

If the drive works perfectly, I see no reason to complain. You are right about one thing, the downloading of updates won't include your optical drive (but this isn't a neccesary one ofcourse).

Sebby
Visitor

You're right I guess... :smileyblush:

GE90
Visitor

Hi Sebby,

I have a problem with my drive, and it looks like it needs to be sent back!!

How is you new drive?
Did you restore right back before sending it off?
Was it returned reformatted?

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks

wildingen
Visitor

Hi

New to this VAIO Club and have no replacement, but a Matshita UJ-840D installed in my VGN-FS395VP from the begining.

I have got serious problems (after 5 months) with the DRIVE, it will only write on CD's, not DVD (singel- or doublelayer) but will read them.

With a new Nero 7 installed I got "compilation error..." time after time, when I try to write the DVD's. The discs doesnt "spin up" and are thrown out...

I have now done a total recovery and the problem is still there. Hardware problem and time to contact SONY?

Thank you

/Thomas (Sweden)