Join now - be part of our community!

Replacing HDD

SRowley
Visitor

Replacing HDD

Hi

I have a VAIO GRX516MD and the HDD is knackering up for the second time now. The first time it did, I sent to Sony for repair (nr. 300 ukp for a replacement drive, no thanks). The warranty on that repair only expired a couple months ago too so I want to try fixing it myself.

I know the model number of the HDD, so is there any reason I can't just buy a new one and install it myself. Do Sony do anything with new HDD before installation that I couldn't do myself?

Alternatively, if poss., I might prefer to just buy a larger HDD - is there any reason I need to buy the same model number as replacement?

Hope someone sees this and is kind enough to help.
Cheers
Steve

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hi Steve,

Repairs done by Sony are guaranteed (they have to be by law), so you could take it up with them. However, since you are out of warranty, speaking to an analyst (techinician) will relieve your pocket of £12.50 per support issue.

Otherwise, upgrading to a larger capacity hard disk is another more feasible solution. Ensure you buy the correct size (thickness) of hard disk, I think it must be 2.9 inches thick (called Ultra Slim or Super Slim).

IMHO a new hard disk should last about 5 years with moderate use.

To disassemble your VAIO, please visit VAIO-Village and ask for the instructions. Disassembly varies greatly from VAIO to VAIO, so be sure to write down the instructions or print them off, and then only proceed when you have all of the tools handy. It is better to delay things first, rather than try to disassemble your laptop and discover that you need a screwdriver...

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully a new hard disk will revive your laptop.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If you can do it yourself then do it, you'll save around £120 like that.
It should be able to handle at least 60GB, make sure the drive is 2.5 inches.