Join now - be part of our community!

Request for an extensive map to VAIO software

DanyM
Visitor

Request for an extensive map to VAIO software

Regards Ladies and Gents!

A notebook history signature would be impossible since my first notebook was based one the 386 processor and I actually think I ran MS-DOS on it - put in other words I have been through many many... No-names, Dell, HP... stylish, cheap, cutting-edge and business models (HP has some that comes with a 3 year warranty and "until next day free service", once they changed the motherboard free of charge while I was waiting - cool but I didn't like the gear).

I love the VAIO and my back is fine nowadays as the SZ is a mere 1.7 kg compared to some 3.5 kilo monsters I used to carry around.

The most problematic and confusing stuff about the VAIOs seems to be the software. There's lots of drivers and lots of utilities and some applications. And depending on where you live it all comes packaged differently.

I have seen some posts here that says "you should install this and then this and finally this" written by people who seems to know. But digging into some downloads it's near impossible to find out what the driver and/or utility actually does and what it's good for, what models it will cover and so on and so forth. On Intels site you can download a utility that finds out what chipset/graphics/memory manager you have and get drivers and utilities that are very well documented and there is always a ledger of exactly what models and makes it will work with (what's supported).

Is it at all possible to find this stuff out regarding the VAIOs? Another nice thing would be some more extensive hardware list for each model (there are mistakes on the vaio-link site and sometimes it's impossible to figure out the difference between two models).

Some downloads - when you have unpacked it has directories with drivers that are designated by two letters - no chance in the world of knowing what it is. Even with a hex-reader!

Bottom line is I'm trying to get some stuff to work on a SZ6XN/C anfter restoring my system from a SZ4XN/C. What American model drivers/utils can I use? I can google for hours and install/uninstall/reinstall and wait for VAIO e-support to answer something in the line with "do a complete PC restore by pressing...". Not good enough IMHO.

Three weeks after the notebook was purchased there's still no drivers on the vaio-link site.

Line under the bottom: why do we accept this?

Comments on MHO?

Enjoy,

/D

0 REPLIES 0