Join now - be part of our community!

Reset BIOS to default display output

profile.country.RO.title
gabrielgeo99
New

Reset BIOS to default display output

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO VPCSA 3Q9E.

I was trying to switch to the internal ATI card from BIOS because the switch on the front does nothing.

In BIOS there are 3 options for the display IGFX / PEG / SG.

I swithced to PEG (PCI Express) and since then laptop does not start and show only a black screen! And after few seconds shuts down and does not start again until power cable and battery are disconnected.

I managed to reach the CMOS battery on the motherboard, disconnected it for 5 mintues.

But still black screen and shut down after few seconds.

I read that on PC's there is a reset CMOS pin that has to be set. Is there something similar on laptops?

Please help!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Gabriel, welcome to the Sony Community :slight_smile:

I don't have much experience of this, but there's a fairly comprehensive description of your options on the Sony US Community which might be instructive. Hope it helps!

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The choice of graphics card is not controlled by the BIOS.

On switchable graphics Vaios, the switching is controlled by the Graphics Driver. The latest driver that allowed switching using the Speed/Stamina Switch was only supported by Windows 7 - here is the driver:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/vpc-series-vpcsa3-series/vpcsa3q9e/downloads/Z0000019

If you have upgraded fo Windows 8 or later, this driver will no longer work and an updated Switchable Hybrid AMD/Intel Driver is not available - so you have to choose which by installing the latest AMD Driver

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/vpc-series-vpcsa3-series/vpcsa3q9e/downloads/Z0000922

and uninstalling the Intel driver.

This has nothing to do with the BIOS, is is just a driver issue.

profile.country.RO.title
gabrielgeo99
New

Thank you! This info would be very helpful if I would have it before I changed my BIOS!

But now that I switched BIOS to PEG what can I do to reset it?

I tried to disconnect the CMOS battery. It stayed disconnected for one day.

But the display is still blank.

And the laptop shuts down by itself in less than a minute.

I understand that PEG is for PCI Express Graphics.

What else can I try?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Can you not re-enter the BIOS screens and change it back? Try tapping F2 during start-up?

Always dangerous to fiddle with the BIOS.

As a last resort, you may get Sony Support to re-flash the BIOS.

profile.country.RO.title
gabrielgeo99
New

No, I cannot enter the BIOS. The screen is always black and the laptop shutsdown by itself shortly after restart.

Will try with Sony support to reflash the BIOS.

Thank you!