Join now - be part of our community!

'Rocking' screen fe21m

raheller
Visitor

'Rocking' screen fe21m

Hello guys.
I've had my FE21m for over two months now and despite the imperfections, I'm actually quite happy with it! It does what I want it to do and it looks great.
Apart from my (very occasionally) clicking harddisk, low volume level (solved with a nice speaker and woofer set) and spontaniously dissapearing paint ('solved' with a simple silver marker from stationary box), I've come across another minor irritation.
Does anyone else have any experience with a 'wobbly' screen? I mean when the screen is open on a normal 95 degrees angle, it still has about an inch worth of completely free moving space. This becomes clear when I put the laptop from the table in my lap or vice versa, the screen rocks forward and backwards for a bit.
It's one of those things I could live with if I knew it was 'normal' and had the guarantee it's not going to get worse...
Please let me know if anyone has or hasn't got this 'problem' so I (and perhaps others) can make up my mind if it's worth it to contact sony. Thanks a lot

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi rahella,

It doesn't sound normal to me. I would contact Vaio-Link and open a case with them.

:wink:

raheller
Visitor

Ok, thanks for the quick response and advice.
I think I will open a case. I've just been in a a John Lewis and checked the screen stability on a fe28h and there was no room for movement at all... Not happy about the thought of losing my VAIO for a few weeks:-( but it just doesn't feel very stable.

herpof
Visitor

Well, I have the same laptop and the screen has the same "free" movement.

I guess it's not something about your laptop.

apierc1
Visitor

I have same model but not this problem. I have other "problems" you might have or not? Slight dark areas in bottom corners of screen and slightly bulging keyboard, do you find you have this with your laptop, I too am very undecided wether to send off or not :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Well, I have the same laptop and the screen has the same "free" movement.

I guess it's not something about your laptop.

Hi herpof,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

If you are concerned about the free movement then I would do as Blencogo mentioned earlier and contact Vaio-Link and open a case with them..

herpof
Visitor

Hi apierc1,

When I was talking about the screen's "free movement" I was reffering to the normal slack a screen should have. I don't think that it's something excessive.

As far as the brightness is concerned, yes I do have some dark areas at the bottom of the screen and especially at the clock area. But I have read and elsewhere that this is something normal although unacceptable for a brand like vaio.

Finally, what exactly happens with your keyboard?

apierc1
Visitor

Hi, I have read that it is "acceptable" and while things like the clicking sound, (although it has gone away for now) is more annoying, when I rang today they suggested it got sent in for the screen and the keyboard :thinking: So do they think it's acceptable or not, I have no idea.

herpof
Visitor

Well, I just remember that I read in another topic that some other user was concerned too about the dark areas. And he called also the service. And they told him to sent it over. And after that they returned it to him saying that it was normal.

Anyway, if you don't mind to lose your laptop for a few days, you can give it a try.

apierc1
Visitor

I do mind now, but I will let tham take it over Xmas, at least they can make my keyboard flat if nothing else.