Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading my Graphics Card

pahirst3035
Visitor

Upgrading my Graphics Card

Hi
I know that this seems to be a popular topic,but could not find the answer in any of the other posts. I have a sony vaio desktop.

PCV-RX306(CE)
120 HD
512 Ram
Pentium4 2.2 ghz

I was wanting to upgrade my graphics card , I do allot of online gaming , but wanted to know which card would be the best.

Thanks in advance.

PS I am in no way very technical and have never opened this particular desktop before so please be patient with me.

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

A Geforce 6200 or a 6600GT (hard to get today).

Do also take a look at this thread

pahirst3035
Visitor

Ok I have looked at that thread that you mentioned and it has confused me * sorry .My current graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 Ver. 6.14. So will the one you recommended actually fit ?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

That is the question I can't answer. Because I can't look inside your case.
I just can recomend a graphic chip to your system.

If you could open the case of your VAIO to take a proper picture and if you post it here, then it would be a help. And maybe for other VAIO users too.

The specification of the powersupply could be a help too. There should be a sticker with some information. (on the powersupply).

Please keep in mind that a Geforce6200 is not that fast today. But it's a lightning compared to your MX440. I have used a onboard Geforce 6150 and was really impressed about it's performance, even if it's low-bugdet.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That problem with form doesn't apply to older cards like yours, it's going to be hard to find a card which is compatible.

pahirst3035
Visitor

If I haven't already said I really appreciate all you help. OK Have managed to take the side off and taken some pics. :slight_smile:

Ahh not sure how to attach the image [:">]

Sorry guys have clicked on the button marked image and it asks me to insert an image hyperlink,which is good, but how do I do that then? :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I see you sorted out the link!!

You have an AGP 8X card in there and there are still a few about!!

Have a look at ALL THESE

THIS ONE looks reasonable value!

:wink:

pahirst3035
Visitor

Great ! having had a look at that link I think I want to max out ( as much as possible) the graphics capability so money is not a problem , just my set up and age of my PC.

What do you think of the
BFG GeForce 7600GS OC 512MB DDR2 SLI, DVI, VGA, HDTV, AGP at £116

on that list ?

pahirst3035
Visitor

Ah

I know that I seem to be answering the last question myself but I think the reason I cannot get the card I suggested in the previous post is that it would require a 300w power supply. :cry:

My PC only has the standard 220 - 240w.

Unless this is easily replaced ? :smileygrin:

I think that your recommendation is my only option, which in real terms means I am out of options as I no that that card will not be sufficient for me to play Neverwinter Nights 2.

Man ,I was having a tough time convincing my girlfriend to upgrade the graphics card , god only know what she will get me to do for a new PC !

docphil444
Visitor

test