Join now - be part of our community!

's' key stuck on VGN-FE21B

Snowball2
Visitor

's' key stuck on VGN-FE21B

The 's' key on my 2 month old Vaio VGN-FE21B keeps getting stuck. It has made my laptop unusable, and I was forced to use a utility called KeyTweak to disable the 's' button and remap the 'Caps Lock' key to the letter 's'. It gives me keyboard error beeps when booting, but at least I can use the PC (albeit awkwardly...).

The problem is I absolutely CANNOT give up the laptop to Sony Support at this time, since I sm 1 month away from submitting my PhD thesis. There is no time...

I will try using an external USB keyboard, but I would like to first try removing the keyboard and cleaning (or checking for some mechanical fault). How do I remove the keyboard on the VGN-FE series?

Thanks in advance... :cry:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have you tried using a keyboard cleaner on it to unstick the key?

Snowball2
Visitor

No, I could not find a cleaner at the shop. What kind of cleaner do you mean? Until I find one, I need to disable the laptop's built in keyboard in order to use the USB external one. I tried uninstalling it, but when windows boots it installs it again!! o I have the same problem since the 's' button is constantly pressed. How do I stop Windows from installing the hardware automatically?

Snowball2
Visitor

I sprayed the around the key with compressed air. It's no longer stuck, BUT it doesn't work properly. It won't work unless pressed several times, and when it does, it remains stuck until I hit escape. At least now I can use my external keyboard, but I really think it's a matter of cleaning it correctly (or replacing the keyboard if there is some other damage).

Surely there must be instructions somewhere on how to remove the keyboard...