Join now - be part of our community!

S3HP - DVD write failing, CD & DVD read and CD write still working perfect

Marcos
Visitor

S3HP - DVD write failing, CD & DVD read and CD write still working perfect

Comes up with these errors in Nero:

During erasing a DVD RW:

During writing a DVD RW:

Does the same with single write discs but didnt want to waste one to get the error msgs. It reads CDs and DVDs fine and writes CDRs perfect too. Just has trouble writing DVDs.

Sounds pretty dodgy when doing it too, kinda like a scratch noise or something. It comes up with power calibration errors.

Reckon i can do anything to save the current drive? (Mat****a UJ-822Da drive inside a Sony Vaio S3HP)

I was thinking maybe this would fit in the laptop?

url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBM-DVD-Multi-Recorder-Mat****a-UJ-830-dvd-r-rw-drv_W0QQitemZ6867161917QQcategoryZ96914QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Ebay DVD writer drive[/url]

Or if anyone knows where i can get a Mat****a UJ-822Da drive? The S series Vaio laptops have received upgraded drives since but its still the same chassis so i'm thinking maybe i can fit one of the new dual layer drives in it? That would be pretty awesome if i could fit a newer faster dual layer burner in there but it all depends on cost.

The rest of the laptop works perfect but i could really do with DVD burning again. input appreciated[

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have you tried cleaning the lens with a liquid cleaner and a cloth (obviously one made to do it)?

Marcos
Visitor

No i havent, but where would you recommend i get some liquid cleaner?

I have a cleaning cloth for some posh sunglasses

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Maplin does one for cleaning laser lenses

Ponn
Visitor

Do you need to clean the lense , when you can still write a CD , but a DVD?

Title: S3HP - DVD write failing, CD & DVD read and CD write still working perfect

I'm having the same problemm, too.
Anyway I could burn a DVD+RW before I upgraded the Firmware with the one from support site ( Matshita UJ-832D on Vaio V5S/M). Now it can burn only DVD-R or DVD-RW (I guess so.) There is no problem writing a CD-R, CD-RW or reading any Discs.

Maybe I did something wrong ...:smileyconfused: (wrong firmware?)

Ponn
Visitor

I figured it out:
Today I bought a DVD+RW (from Sony) and burning worked!!!
I have to give away all my DVD+RW from Philips, since they wont work with my VAIO :cry:
so, if u have problem with your DVD-ROM, I recommend to try sony-products first :smileygrin:

Marcos
Visitor

I think we have different problems though, i didnt touch the firmware and i'm using the same discs i've used for 6months now. It just stopped working one day