Join now - be part of our community!

Wiping pc

FranzH
Visitor

Wiping pc

Im thinking about wiping my laptop and starting again (my VGN-T1XP) I just wanted to post here first and make sure i know what to do. Ok for a start my cd drive isnt working so if i bought an external one would that be ok? Do i just put in the Windows XP cd and follow instructions and if i do do this will the D drive be ok if i left all my things on it?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for all the help everyone has given me since i joined Club VAIO :slight_smile:

7 REPLIES 7
Speedway16ie
Visitor

the usb cd drive probably won't work because when you wipe your pc and you first boot it up without windows on it, the BIOS will only probably pick up internally attached devices like the hard drive and cd drive (attached internally - IDE, SCSI, SATA or laptop equiv) but the drivers for the USB connections won't be installed at that stage of the boot, you'd have to have windows installed for it to pick up the USB cd drive. So you'd be stuck with a blank hard drive at that stage i'd say.

Speedway16ie
Visitor

i was just thinking actually what you could do is create a new partition with the windows files on it and when you go to install windows again just load the files from that partition. you'd be treating it like a v large cd drive as such. Im not sure about the copyright on the windows cd there though, could cause problems

FranzH
Visitor

Hmm im stuck ok well thanks for the help :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Franz,

Do you still have the HDDR partition? I would use that to restore

FranzH
Visitor

Not sure but i should do, how do i use that? (Never wiped a pc before)

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Follow the instruction from here

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Not sure but i should do, how do i use that? (Never wiped a pc before)

Tap F10 at boot and follow the instructions.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat