Join now - be part of our community!

s3xp - keyboard key replacement

mongee
Visitor

s3xp - keyboard key replacement

Hi,

I have a VGN-S3XP notebook and the "p" key has come undone!

Now i have tried to re-fit it to no avail!, I even had Dixons look at it and they said maybe I will have to send the notebook back to Sony to have it fixed! seems a bit much for 1 key.

Apparently the design has changed for "popping" the key back in?

Any advice on how to re-fit the keys please?

Thanks

mongee

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Really? They just don't pop them in anymore?
Sad

Having it sent away does seem drastic, but if it's the only way....

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yeah it often is.

It is a stressful job trying to align the little H-bar's in each key properly, so it is best to get Sony to re-attach a new key for you.

kee-lo_

But it can be done right?

mongee
Visitor

well the problem is that imnow working away for 3 months and not in the uk! im actually in Bombay so I will try the locals out!! sure someone will have some sort of device for the job!

kee-lo_

The problem is Sony won't pick up in Bombay as the warranty only support UK, unless you bought the internetaional warranty

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yes, Sony need to improve that...

It can be done, but after rereading the thread Rob wrote, it is a tedious and awkward job, besides which you need to have all of the little white crossmembers befroe you start.

The switch pads are normally made into an X shape, which is flat at the top, and a H-bar retainer fits over the keys to lock it into place.

You need nerves of steal, patience of a saint, a few hours of time, lots of cheap lager :smileydevil:, steady hands and a few choice words thrown in for good measure - and thats only for one key!

IMHO it is better to get Sony to do this, and they will probably replace the whole keyboard.

mongee
Visitor

Ok well I do have a lot of time to "keep trying!" so it sounds that it is possible to do by your self. ( I only spent 3 hours so far and resulted in this post!).

Thanks for advice people

kee-lo_

Best of luck :four_leaf_clover:

mongee
Visitor

err still trying!