Join now - be part of our community!

s3xp - keyboard key replacement

mongee
Visitor

s3xp - keyboard key replacement

Hi,

I have a VGN-S3XP notebook and the "p" key has come undone!

Now i have tried to re-fit it to no avail!, I even had Dixons look at it and they said maybe I will have to send the notebook back to Sony to have it fixed! seems a bit much for 1 key.

Apparently the design has changed for "popping" the key back in?

Any advice on how to re-fit the keys please?

Thanks

mongee

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds frustrating :smileyfrustrated:

Eugenepang
Visitor

i tot you can just press it back in?...

mongee
Visitor

apparently on the pcg series u can & i have. but the design is different now and not so easy!

ant1uk
Visitor

i have the same unit one of my keys came off, it can be put back on but it does take some time and is very stressful! the key has 3 pieces which clip together, there are instructions that come with the laptop, look on vaio documentation, as you say they are slightly different but gives you an idea how to do it, i wouldnt send it to sony they will keep it fro months and will charge you for it i am sure.

mvanwambeke
Visitor

The problem is Sony won't pick up in Bombay as the warranty only support UK, unless you bought the internetaional warranty

Nope , the warranty is valid in the whole of Europe, even in the barrow ends of Sweden.

But if you call in into the helpdesk or make an e support case, you can order induvidual keys ( with the "legs" that come with it)

kee-lo_

They told me it was country specific, so if I took it to France and it broke down they wouldn't fix it until I went back to the UK

Stephanius
Visitor

The Vaio guarantee is not country specific, its specific to the region of sale, i.e. Asia, America or Europe. The service for all Vaio's in Western Europe is done by the same organisation, and it does plainly not matter if you are in the UK, France, Portugal or whereever in the European sales area.

For the actual problem: If they have them on stock, Vaio-Link will sent you single keys and clips (the H things) for your Vaio's keyboard by normal mail. For this it should not matter if you are in Bombay or in the UK.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

True, Sony can actually send these out to you - and after I installed the key for a K-Series I know how stressful it can be!

Nice to know the warranties are for an area and not a country.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

There is however a solution to use in the meantime.

Use a capital 'i' :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

Hi Stephanius

Good to see you're still around.
How's it going?

Thanks for the info on warranties, I'll remember it if I do move.