Join now - be part of our community!

same problem but in VGN FS315B

camel84
Visitor

same problem but in VGN FS315B

My vayo doesn't read any DVD only CD's.. i already donwloaded the last firmware.. my cd/dvd reader is the Pioneer DVR-K16VAS and the firmware version is 1.10.

if someone can help me i really need help..

(please tell me that i don't need to format my pc.. :slight_frown: )

9 REPLIES 9
Waqz
Visitor

It does'nt read any cd's or dvd's at all? Well i could be wrong but maybe the reader thing i think its called lens maybe dirty? I dont think your vaio would need to be formatted. How old is the cd/dvd drive? Maybe your drive is broken?

camel84
Visitor

It does'nt read any cd's or dvd's at all? Well i could be wrong but maybe the reader thing i think its called lens maybe dirty? I dont think your vaio would need to be formatted. How old is the cd/dvd drive?  Maybe your drive is broken?

it's only 1,5 years... ya it can be dirty,but how you explain that he reades a lot of cd's (with no problem at all) and DVD doesn't recognyze when i put him.... :thinking: :thinking:

and more stranger is the fact that when i put DVD it makes a lot of noise it seems that he is stuck, to force the reading of the optic group

Waqz
Visitor

Are the Dvd's in good condition? Well thats odd reads cd's but not dvd's? Wat is the drive a Dvd/Rw? Well i dont no too much but maybe its broken? I dont know why it reads Cd but not Dvd. Does the computer recoize a cd in the drive? If so i think there myt be something wrong with your drive? If the cd works in another drive then most likely you need to change your drive? I dont know for sure wait for another suggestion.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi - quite a few people seem to be having this problem and I do wonder if a recent Microsoft Update has made this worse.

All you can try is cleaning the laser lens in the drive with a liquid cleaner.

The other thing to try is open your drive tray and gently slide the reader head all the way to the centre and then all the way to the other end of its range a number of times to make sure it has free travel across all of its reading range. CDs and DVDs read a different part of the disc to gather the initial startup information and this needs the head to move to both ends of its slider. Keep your fingers off the lens though!!!

If these fail, you will need to carry out a full recovery from the Recovery Discs to see if this fixes it - if not then the drive will probably need to be replaced.

:wink:

camel84
Visitor

hmmm I try that, but doesn't work :cry:

o can't (i think) take off drive to put in another pc, because he's in
guarantee... and i need pc so i can't deliver him.. :cry:

can be an windows update conflituos?

Resonate
Visitor

hmmm I try that, but doesn't work  :cry:  

Did you try the System Recovery with your Recovery Disks ?
If you didn't try a Restore again using your recovery discs, If when coming to Boot time your Drive reads the disks then your drive isn't broken it will be a config problem with Windows . I don't no what OS you are running & i am pressuming that it is Windows XP Home/Office which opens a new can of worms entirely as you cannot play DVDs natively in Windows XP without help of third-party software. :thinking:

So try the Bootable media if you have not if it boots your prob Windows if it Dosent then i think a new Drive is needed :slight_frown:

camel84
Visitor

hmmm I try that, but doesn't work  :cry:  

Did you try the System Recovery with your Recovery Disks ?
If you didn't try a Restore again using your recovery discs, If when coming to Boot time your Drive reads the disks then your drive isn't broken it will be a config problem with Windows . I don't no what OS you are running & i am pressuming that it is Windows XP Home/Office which opens a new can of worms entirely as you cannot play DVDs natively in Windows XP without help of third-party software. :thinking:

So try the Bootable media if you have not if it boots your prob Windows if it Dosent then i think a new Drive is needed :slight_frown:

My vaio doesn't come with any CD... but originaly it comes with the Windows XP home.. I made a format and put Windows XP professional... i recentely had a problem with NetLimiter and pc can't be hibernated,or suspended.. because ehen i turn on, it geaves an error in memory..i found the solution and removed the program..and now the pc can hibernate.. so like this can be an windows incompatibility? my bios read whell the drive.. and the windows too:) but only for cd's.. he try to read the DVD but after reading the device i can read an empty drive.. :laughing: whit 0 bits free and 0 bits used :anguished: :anguished: :anguished:

Resonate
Visitor

My vaio doesn't come with any CD... but originaly it comes with the Windows XP home.. I made a format and put Windows XP professional... i recentely had a problem with NetLimiter and pc can't be hibernated,or suspended.. because ehen i turn on, it geaves an error in memory..i found the solution and removed the program..and now the pc can hibernate.. so like this can be an windows incompatibility? my bios read whell the drive.. and the windows too:) but only for cd's.. he try to read the DVD but after reading the device i can read an empty drive.. :laughing: whit 0 bits free and 0 bits used :anguished: :anguished: :anguished:

It's not so much incompatibility with XP its just like not having the tools to cope with the task therefore we get our third-party software use it find something better then uninstall it which then the recording software 80% of the time leaves invalid strings within the registry which muck up everything else. Have you had any error codes at all ? not just the memory one. :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Has it ever worked since you installed XP Pro?

XP Pro cannot burn DVDs without third party software - What program are you trying to use?

:thinking: