Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Flicker on VGN-S4XP - possible design flaw

caruk
Visitor

Screen Flicker on VGN-S4XP - possible design flaw

Hello,

I am now on my second VGN-S4XP and it seems to be exhibiting the same annoying problem as the first.

When running on battery (and possibly when on AC power), at random intervals (ranging from 2 to 4 minutes) the brightness of the screen changes for a fraction of a second, creating what appears to be a momentary flicker. Because the problem does not seem to be visible when the brightness is turned all the way up I suspect that the flaw is causing the screen to brighten for a fraction of a second and then return back to its proper brightness.

The first Vaio that I purchased exhibited this problem from the moment it was turned on (with the default software installed). I therefore thought that the first unit was flawed so I returned it and paid to have another one sent to me. Unfortunately the second unit exhibits exactly the same problem.

Since I enjoyed flawless service from my first Vaio (S1XP) and I will not return to the UK, where it was purchased, until after the time when I could return the laptop for a full refund, I would very much like to resolve this problem.

Is anyone else here seeing this problem? How can I have it resolved? Please advise!

Christopher Caruk
CTO - Auctioning4u
www.auctioning4u.co.uk

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Seems to be a common problem with the S series.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Seems to be a common problem with half the bloody X-Blacks Sony ever made. Having it fixed is considerably less than reliable too.

caruk
Visitor

I would have thought that Sony would be sufficiently ashamed of this problem on a premium laptop that they would find a way to fix it once and for all. It really does let down what is otherwise a tremendous product.

Strange that my S1XP did not have this problem but I guess that it has something to do with power utilization.

I¿ll be contacting Sony technical support when I return to see what they have to say.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris

yonggui
Visitor

Guess it's not only on the S-series, noticed it too on my FS215S, on power-up/resuming usage the screen flashes once, kinda creepy like my laptop is falling apart already. Not what I expect for the price I've paid 😞

darylscs
Visitor

Hi,

I fixed mine witha Video driver update from the Sony Support area of their website. It was the Nvidia video driver. had not a single flicker since.

Hope it sorts you out as it drive me nuts and the machine was heading for the fish tank!

ant1uk
Visitor

well vaio do have a reputation to keep

the FS series are known to have bits snap off

the S series are known to be hot plates

when are sony going to sort this stuff out it is really bad the same issues keep coming up on here time and time again

i forgot to say about the <profanity removed by moderator> inverters in the rest of the models and the mashita dvd drives,

diecerll
Visitor

Hello,

I am now on my second VGN-S4XP and it seems to be exhibiting the same annoying problem as the first.

When running on battery (and possibly when on AC power), at random intervals (ranging from 2 to 4 minutes) the brightness of the screen changes for a fraction of a second, creating what appears to be a momentary flicker. Because the problem does not seem to be visible when the brightness is turned all the way up I suspect that the flaw is causing the screen to brighten for a fraction of a second and then return back to its proper brightness.

The first Vaio that I purchased exhibited this problem from the moment it was turned on (with the default software installed). I therefore thought that the first unit was flawed so I returned it and paid to have another one sent to me. Unfortunately the second unit exhibits exactly the same problem.

Since I enjoyed flawless service from my first Vaio (S1XP) and I will not return to the UK, where it was purchased, until after the time when I could return the laptop for a full refund, I would very much like to resolve this problem.

Is anyone else here seeing this problem? How can I have it resolved? Please advise!

Christopher Caruk
CTO - Auctioning4u
www.auctioning4u.co.uk

Hello, Have you installed the latest BIOS and NVIDIA driver, it worked for my S4HP.

feederfan
Visitor

Just sent my K-Series away for the exact same problem, and to get another problem with faulty memory sorted. Its really irritating, i think its just the connection working itself loose when the screen is opened and closed as well, which should not happen at all