Join now - be part of our community!

Second Hard Drive

poobob
Visitor

Second Hard Drive

Please can someone help.
I have purchased a 250 GB hard drive to use as a second storage devise. this being a samsung spinpoint series SP2514N. But it shows as a 137gb drive on my computer.for some reason the HD has been limited from a 250 to a 137. the HD has been checked using the correct utility tool from the manufacturers. Please help as i'm at a complete blank as what to do to get the computer to recognise the correct size of the disk
My operating system is WindowsXP Home with SP2
My computer is a Vaio RX406

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

Try Format the same again.

seb21__
Visitor

Maybe a BIOS problem? If I boot my laptop with the Hitachi Feature tool, then it shows a maximal format-able size of 137GB too.:smileyconfused:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Yes, it's a BIOS limitation. See this page for details.

Knowing Sony, it's unlikely that there is a BIOS update for this but you could check Vaio-Link to confirm.

If there isn't a BIOS update then the only real solution is a PCI disk controller card that supports 48 bit addressing..

seb21__
Visitor

Hmmm, good to know. Because I aslo thought about to buy a extern harddisk. So 120GB seems to be the limit.:smileysad:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

If you are using Windows XP then you must update your BIOS with the link Rob has provided, but you must also ensure you activate 48bit addressing inside Windows.

Microsoft Knowledge base - 48BIT LBA Addressing

The above article will guide you through a simple check to ensure your computer is compatible.

You could also use a Dynamic Drive Overlay from Samsung (if the hard disk came with a CD-ROM it probably contains such software). Using one of these often (but NOT always) elminates the need for a BIOS upgrade. This makes a simple adjustment that overcomes the BIOS limitations, allowing your computer to recognise this disk.

robpaxton
Explorer

Thanks for that James, I forgot that the problem could be limited to the OS. I assumed the size was being reported incorrectly by the BIOS.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

No problem Rob. Windows XP normally turns OFF 48-bit addressing which would require a patch to enable this support. The system BIOS can also have a problem, so its a case of elimination.

kee-lo_

How about 50GB partitions?

robpaxton
Explorer

No, that wouldn't solve the problem. The addressing mode has to be 48 bit to allow you to access all of the disc sectors.

Disk overlays should be avoided if at all possible - they can slow the computer and small errors can turn into total disasters. If the BIOS / OS mods don't work then the new controller card is the best solution. They aren't too expensive either.