Join now - be part of our community!

Second Hard Drive

poobob
Visitor

Second Hard Drive

Please can someone help.
I have purchased a 250 GB hard drive to use as a second storage devise. this being a samsung spinpoint series SP2514N. But it shows as a 137gb drive on my computer.for some reason the HD has been limited from a 250 to a 137. the HD has been checked using the correct utility tool from the manufacturers. Please help as i'm at a complete blank as what to do to get the computer to recognise the correct size of the disk
My operating system is WindowsXP Home with SP2
My computer is a Vaio RX406

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Hmmm, what about Network drives?

A few routers can connect a extern harddisk or a printer. Anyway, there are extern devices with space of 1TB and more. How would they work with this limit? Or do they use their own controllers?

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Network drives have their own controllers and a few have their own interface software..

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Sounds interesting.:smileycool:

And its a easy way to share files via wireless without to access another PC. Or using a media-center without PC. Hmmm.:smileythinking: Or not:smileyliar: :anguished: ?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I should mention here that 48 Bit LBA support must be present in BIOS (therefore a BIOS upgrade will be needed), Service Pack One (1) for Windows XP or higher must be installed (Service Pack 2 recommended), and 48 Bit support switched on inside Windows XP.

If you switch on 48 Bit LBA support in Windows XP, without an up-to-date BIOS you risk catastrophic disk corruptions, destroying your data.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Seb: it's called a NAS, I posted about it in General Chat but no one had any ideas :slight_frown: :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

Rob: yeah I was thinking that would be the problem.

If you're going to get a controller card might as well upgrade to SATA