Join now - be part of our community!

'Shift' key problem on VGN-A317M

OldGustav
Visitor

'Shift' key problem on VGN-A317M

The left hand side 'Shift' key does not record that it is being pressed. If I press it again it will sometimes work. The problem is intermitent - ie. about 3 time out of 4 the problem occurs. I haved removed the key itself and inspected the spring mechanism beneath. It appears to be clean and is not sticking. The right hand side 'shift' key works fine - but then I rarely use it (although I am learning to use it now...). This is a really irritating problem when typing. I cannot help thinking it may be a s/w problem rather than mechanical. Any help very gratefully received. I have posted a Sony e-support case but it's been a few days and they haven't replied yet.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Old Gustav,

I am not entirely certain on this but you may possibly have ‘filter keys’ turned on – is there an icon for this in the system tray?

You can disable the shortcut option completely by going to Control Panel > Accessibility Options and clicking on the "Settings" button next to the Filter Keys description. That will open a new window with a checkbox that enables/disables the shortcut (under Keyboard shortcut).

To turn off ‘filter keys' try pressing both shift keys simultaneously.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat