Join now - be part of our community!

shutdown problem with vaio fe11s

willcee
Visitor

shutdown problem with vaio fe11s

Hi you all,

Ive a problem with my vaio vgn-fe11s. i removed the pre-installed windows xp media center edition and installed Windows XP Professional.. all the devices seems to run properly, except the built-in webcam.
If i activate the Webcam in the Device Manager, my computer wont shutdown. There appears the dialog "Windows is shutting down" after that it stops shutting down with the light-blue background (NOT a bluescreen). But if i deactivate the Webcam the Computer shutdown correctly.

So do anyone have a solution for this problem?

Thanks and kind regards

willcee

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The only thing I can say is update the webcam's drivers, or safely remove the webcam before shutdown

willcee
Visitor

yeah, but its the built-in webcam of the notebook, and unfortunately there is no driver at the moment.

but media center edition is a windows xp with extended multimedia functions, so i cant understand why its running under media center and under xp pro it doesnt.

and in the US you can have the same notebook with xp pro, so there must also be a driver, but i couldnt install it, because it says that this is not the correct driver for my notebook 😞

ocatarineta
Visitor

This has been discussed and solved with a Microsoft Hotfix in a previous thread...

sweetCoffee
Visitor

hello

when reinstalling windows by yourself you have to deactivate the option that windows can disable the usb roots to save some energy...

you have to do it with all 4 usb hubs in the device manager

I don't know if it's very good for the battery life, but that's the only option we have for the moment 😞

willcee
Visitor

This has been discussed and solved with a Microsoft Hotfix in a previous thread...

thanks ocatarineta, but if search trought the forum, there is only a hotfix for the sound device, which i have installed.

But a hotfix for the shutdown problem, i couldnt find.

thanks also to sweetCoffee, i will try your solution.

cheers willcee

drosca
Visitor

This is the MS Hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=909667.

You can download the english version of the patch from here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/11297617/KB909667.exe.html.

ocatarineta
Visitor
profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Good...very good you have this problem....installing xp....geezzz what a waste of time.

Why oh why do people do this. Windows Media Center = XP pro.....and if you don't like the software supplied by sony then you should REMOVE them very easy....

ocatarineta
Visitor

Windows Media Center = XP pro

That is true but for one detail.
MCE is based on a winXPpro edition, but it has windows domain connection capabilities disabled, as it is for WinXPhome.

I'm wondering why Microsoft did choose to start from a pro base if then they disabled this feature, that is the main difference between XP pro and home edition...